Please Help W/ Ganache Application Question

Decorating By KayMc Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 6:34am by Monkess

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 10

I made ganache for the first time tonight. I have the melted chocolate cream mixture in the fridge. From one posting on this messageboard, I took notes that state to keep it in the fridge overnite, and beat w/ electric mixer (wire whisk) the next day. My question is this: do I bring it to room temp before trying to beat it? It's so hard, I know it'll never mix at the cold temp. Thank you for your help. I need it to be a consistency where I can cover the cake for the crumb coating prior to applying the peanut butter frosting. Thanks again.

9 replies
KayMc Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 10

anyone know? Am I wrong to have it in the fridge overnite?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 10

I don't refrigerate mine. I leave it at room temp. overnight. I don't whip mine I stir to mix and spread it on my cake.

I think you can heat it in the microwave in short intervals to warm it up quickly and then whip.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 10

a little confused.. are you wanting to POUR the ganache over the cakes as your crumb coat. or are you wanting to whip it and make it a frosting?

The reason I ask, is that the recipe is slightly different for WHAT you are wanting to accomplish.

What were your ratios?

In answer to your question. you can leave in fridge and set out to warm up tomorrow, then whip it. (it may not whip like you want depending on your ratio.) if you are wanting to pour it, well you should have done that immediately after making for best results. You might try micorwaving at 5 second intervals to get it back to the liquid consistancy if you want to pour it.

KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #5 of 10

Well, guys, I'm obviously confused, too. icon_redface.gif I guess I will whip it and use it as a thin layer of frosting for the crumb coat. So, according to your posts, I can warm it up to room temp tomorrow and whip it, right? I used a tad > 1 LB Belgian dark chocolate and 1 cup heavy cream. I also threw in a shot of Starbucks liquor and 1 Tbsp vanilla extract. Is my plan ok?

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 10

Standard Ganache uses a 1:1 ratio of chocolate to cream + flavoring. While this ratio can be whipped after cooling and used as a frosting, it will be toob stiff to easily adhere to the cake. A 3:4 ratio will give a softer frosting when whipped that will adhere to the cake.

tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 10

check out this link. it has all the answers. and is tucked firmly in my favs for just such an occasion.

http://www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:40am
post #8 of 10

Tesso - would you mind giving the link again? I don't think it's working. Thanks!

tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #9 of 10

I think this one of places blocked on here.. I will send you pm with link.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:34am
post #10 of 10

@Tesso ...could you pm me the link as well, sounds interestingicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%