Cake With Waterfall

Decorating By ElderBaker Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 2:24pm by ElderBaker

ElderBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElderBaker Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 5

for a cake with a tropical theme, how would I simulate a waterfall? I saw a picture of a cake with a blue jello-like waterfall cascading down the cake. how would I do that? Any suggestions?

4 replies
kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

for the waterfall I did on my jungle cake I used indydebi's buttercream and frosted the areas I wanted to be a part of the falls, then I used blue sparkles wilton piping gel over the top. I applied it with an angled spatula. then I dabs some more white buttercream to simulate foam at the base of the falls. I was really worried about how it would turn out, but it turned out really well and I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:31am
post #3 of 5

yep. piping gel. it works great.

Mrs_Sparkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_Sparkles Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:12am
post #4 of 5

For the cake I did, I put white fondant on the area that was meant to be water, and covered it with homemade piping gel coloured blue. At the bottom, I swirled a bit of silver coloured piping gel in the blue to simulate the froth.

ElderBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElderBaker Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 5

I've used piping gel for a golf course lake before - I wasn't sure it would adhere vertically to a three tier cake - I guess I thought it might slide down! I really like the blue sparke gel idea! Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%