Sheet Cake Stacked Incorrectly, Can I Fix It?

Decorating By cheatize Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 3:39am by cheatize

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

As the picture shows, I had a bone-head moment and stacked these wrong. I didn't realize it until I almost had the crumb coat on. The top vanilla layer was already falling apart when I stacked them. I was crumb coating them while still partially frozen. At the moment, it's sitting in the freezer. Once it's completely frozen again, do you think it's possible to pry them apart to fix it? The bottom cake is all one piece and the top is in two pieces due to previous issues. The cakes are scratch- no pudding in the batter. The vanilla isn't dense, but the chocolate is.
LL

8 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 9

How were you moving the cakes? If you have a flat cookie sheet, or a jelly-roll pan upside down, you can try to use that to move the cake but give it a stable surface to lay on as you move it. The cookie sheet would be best if you need to pry the layers apart. Most are thin enough that you can slide it without putting too much bend in the cake.

HTH!

cheatize Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 9

It's sitting on a big baking sheet right now and I have a second, smaller, one too. I slid it underneath before I moved it even though the cake board is 2 foam boards.

fba322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fba322 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 9

Would it work for you to just flip one of stacked sections over so you don't have to try to pry it apart?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fba322

Would it work for you to just flip one of stacked sections over so you don't have to try to pry it apart?

I'm smacking myself in the head right now. That is about the simplest and most intelligent solution. icon_biggrin.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #6 of 9

Now that's thinking outside of the box, fba! Brilliant, and I hope it works!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #7 of 9

Well... that won't help if the order called for 1/2 & 1/2 separated for chocolate allergy reasons! Otherwise, do both halves need to match?

fba322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fba322 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys...it seemed like the most simple solution to me, but I almost didn't post that because I thought there must be something I was missing...lol...trust me most of the time when I screw up the solution doesn't come to me that quickly!!

cheatize Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #9 of 9

I pried them apart and the top vanilla layer split. I managed to get it all glued back together and fix the crumbcoat. It's thawing on the table now. I needed all vanilla on one side and all chocolate on the other. It was either pry them apart or pretend miscommunication. "oOo. I thought this is what you meant when you said, 'chocolate and vanilla'." LOL Just kidding. I would have rebaked yet a third time, thus losing any profit on this monster.

Thanks for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%