About Your Cake Photos....

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 6:43am by ocfrank

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 19

I really enjoy looking at & commenting on the photos here at CC, but I'm wondering, other than several adjectives (beautiful! Cute! Precious! Creative! Wonderful!) what type of feedback do YOU really want for your cake photos??

18 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 19

I post here not really for a critique (believe me, I know what went wrong with my cake<G>icon_wink.gif but rather for what you liked about the cake or just that someone is LOOKING at my work. It IS validation that my hard work is being noticed....not by cake muggles but by my peers. That's why its hard on the ego when I get over 100 views and not a single comment. Even if it's a "I liked your design" or "pretty"...it lets me know that my peers notice.

Thanx for asking!

Cat

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I post here not really for a critique (believe me, I know what went wrong with my cake<G>icon_wink.gif but rather for what you liked about the cake or just that someone is LOOKING at my work. It IS validation that my hard work is being noticed....not by cake muggles but by my peers. That's why its hard on the ego when I get over 100 views and not a single comment. Even if it's a "I liked your design" or "pretty"...it lets me know that my peers notice.

I agree!! Not so much for critique, but for that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that other people like your work, and notice it. It's the comments and the favourites, not the views, that really help boost my confidence.

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 19

I completely agree, especially getting comments from people who truly appreciate how much time and effort goes into making & decorating a cake. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 19

If someone makes a comment I think it's nice they took the time to do so. I think the photos are there to say 'look what I did!" not 'what did I do wrong?' If that's the type of comment you want then the person posting the picture should say that in the description--or post in a forum. Sometimes I've thought about doing just that so as to get feedback--positive or (gasp) negative. Guess I'm too chicken! icon_lol.gif Plus I like to save the photos for inspiration as we all do. Some cakes are so wonderful I just have to give that person validation on their hard work...those I save.
But I know what you mean...I've had cakes with tons of views but no comments and I'm thinking 'hey...what's wrong with it?" Now THAT's when I want feedback! icon_biggrin.gif Or do I? icon_surprised.gif

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

If someone makes a comment I think it's nice they took the time to do so. I think the photos are there to say 'look what I did!" not 'what did I do wrong?' If that's the type of comment you want then the person posting the picture should say that in the description--or post in a forum. Sometimes I've thought about doing just that so as to get feedback--positive or (gasp) negative. Guess I'm too chicken! icon_lol.gif Plus I like to save the photos for inspiration as we all do. Some cakes are so wonderful I just have to give that person validation on their hard work...those I save.
But I know what you mean...I've had cakes with tons of views but no comments and I'm thinking 'hey...what's wrong with it?" Now THAT's when I want feedback! icon_biggrin.gif Or do I? icon_surprised.gif

More really good points! The gallery to me, is a place to browse and find inspiration, not to scope out negatives or areas of improvement. Maybe if there was an area of the forums that was meant for "here's my cake, please critique" type posts, we'd more inclined to both seek and give the constructive criticism. That way we'd have both the good fluffy feelings, and the helpful comments that help us improve. icon_smile.gif

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 19

Here is a forum in the lounge section that is specifically for critiques.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-624760-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 19

I like to post my photos in the gallery to share them with others who know and understand the work that goes into a cake.

It's nice to be able to post a picture when I've asked someone for help or suggestions, to let them see how it turned out and give them credit!

I appreciate the positive comments, but I also don't mind the constructive comments that might help me to improve my work!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 19

I don't practice this yet, but whenever I add a photo to my faves, I'm going to start adding a comment as to why I'm adding it.

For example, if there was something about the cake that drew me in, the color, the border, etc., I would leave a comment such as, "I love the border on this cake! Saving to my faves for inspiration!"

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

For example, if there was something about the cake that drew me in, the color, the border, etc., I would leave a comment such as, "I love the border on this cake! Saving to my faves for inspiration!"

I try to do this too when I post a comment because those are the kinds of comments I like to see about my cakes.

I look forward to getting comments here on my cakes because as a hobby baker, the only people who get my cakes are people who love me and therefore always love my cakes. I actually don't trust their opinions icon_smile.gif.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I try to do this too when I post a comment because those are the kinds of comments I like to see about my cakes.

I look forward to getting comments here on my cakes because as a hobby baker, the only people who get my cakes are people who love me and therefore always love my cakes. I actually don't trust their opinions icon_smile.gif.

Lol I hear ya there! I had been wishy-washy about getting a business going until my friend's wedding, where I provided her cake. It wasn't until complete strangers were coming up to the cake with their mouths agape that I realized that I wasn't half-bad!

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 19

Id like constuctive critism. Or even just comments in general.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 19

I agree with everyone here. Even a one word comment is nice. I always try to leave a comment on photos that I look at.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 19

If I post a cake here, then I'm just looking to share it and maybe show it off. I don't post every cake I do on CC. Almost everything goes on my facebook, but I don't post on CC unless I am really happy with the cake or I think it is something a little different.

If I did something wrong on a cake, chances are I could tell you so and then some. If something probably would have looked better another way I probably thought about it after it was done. BUT I also don't sit there and pick apart my work. I think every cake can be a learning experinces, but if you are always picking apart your cakes, you are never going to be happy.

I wouldn't post a "if it were me" comment on a random picture because why nit pick at other peoples work.

If someones helpful how would you do, or help me fix this, they can always add it into their description. If it isn't asked for then I wouldn't tell them.

My mom taught me, if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I don't believe in giving false praise, so if I can't say "wow, awesome cake, I love this and this and that about it," and they didn't for how would you fix this feedback, I would just skip commenting on it.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 19

Those who want criticism mention it under the photo, or post on the Critique Sub Members Group thread (link above).

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:28am
post #16 of 19

I just like to know people are looking, really. I enjoy getting comments, of course, but even seeing the view count go up makes me smile. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:05pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

even seeing the view count go up makes me smile. icon_smile.gif

Yep, me too icon_biggrin.gif.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 19

I always worry that my cakes arnt good enough (and no wonder after some of the wonderful ones on here) and if someone should comment even 'nice cake' I am well chuffed icon_smile.gif

ocfrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ocfrank Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:43am
post #19 of 19

I don't think I'm looking for praise...I just enjoy sharing what I have learned, and how my progress is coming along as an amateur cake artist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%