Dummy Cakes?!

Decorating By BetsyBaker Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm by Creative_Cookies_Cakes

BetsyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BetsyBaker Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 12

HELP! Ok.. I have a 3 tiered wedding cake for July that I will need to travel 7 hrs to get to WITH the cake. I'm planning on baking, filling, frosting and fondant covering a 14'', 10'' and 6'' and transporting them in separate boxes. I'm just now questioning the use of dummy cakes. I've never done them before but I figure for transport it would make things MUCH easier. The bride doesn't mind either way. COMMENTS/ SUGGESTIONS..? DUMMY CAKE(S) for the top 2 tiers??

Thanks!!

11 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 12

I JUST did this! It was a re-creation of their wedding cake but they were not having that many people at their anniversary party but still wanted it to look like their original so I used a real 8 inch on the bottom and dummy 6 inch on top. You totally couldn't tell that the top was a dummy. It won't save the bride all that much since most charge about 80% if what they would charge to make the real cake but it will reduce your stress on the delivery!

So if you are making the 14" a real cake and the other two tier sizes dummys then the transportation is gonna be a snap! I am guessing that the wedding is not such a large wedding but she wants the look of a large wedding cake?

Funny sidenote...the couple I did the cake for...had me show their guests that part of the cake was fake! LOL! They were so tickled I could do it for them they wanted to share the magic trick! LOL!

You, of course, could let them cut the bottom layer and then remove the cake to the kitchen for service.
Cat

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 12

You could either do the top 2 tiers dummy cakes and the bottom one real, or what I have done before is cut a piece of the styrofoam out in the back, line with fondant (to keep the cake off the styrofoam), fill the space with a piece of cake, and cover that piece with fondant. Yes, you can tell where the fondant patch is in the back, but it's in the back so who cares? Then I just do 2-layer undecorated sheet cakes in the kitchen. I transport the sheet cakes in rubbermaid tubs (there is a size that fits a 12"x18" cake perfectly!). It works perfectly. That is how I made my own wedding cake without losing my mind.

BetsyBaker Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #4 of 12

Thanks for your tips!! The wedding is actually a large wedding of 250 attending the reception! This means sheet cakes for me!! I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing the top 2 tiers dummy cakes and have several sheet cakes including the bottom 14'' layer.

Where do I buy the square Styrofoam for the cakes??

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 12

Are you planning to charge the bride for both the dummy cake tiers along with the kitchen cakes for 250?
Because decorating a dummy cake takes just as much time, fondant, and icing as a real cake. From what I've seen the going rate for dummy tiers is about 80% the cost of an actual cake.

You can get dummies from a number of sources. If you Google "cake dummies" the first result, Taylor, is fine. Dallas is also good.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:41am
post #6 of 12

If you make the whole cake a dummy cake it will be easy to transport, plus you can use it for a sample display cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 12

Betsy, please don't do sheet cakes. Do kitchen cakes. Sooooo much nicer.

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:49am
post #8 of 12

What is the difference from sheet cakes and kitchen cakes?

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #9 of 12

i'm curious about that too?

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:14am
post #10 of 12

Sheet cakes are a single layer of cake with icing on the tops and sides. They're sometimes also called "slab" cakes.

Kitchen cakes are two layers (four if torted) with icing and/or filling between each layer. Often they're decorated to match the tiered cake. When sliced, ideally they're indistinguishable from slices of the tiered cake. This way you don't have some guests who get the beautiful 2 or 4 layered slice of tiered cake while others just get a single-layer hunk of cake with icing on top.

Hope that makes sense! icon_smile.gif

BetsyBaker Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 12

I had no idea the typical 'sheet cake' insinuated that there is no filling!! Learn something new everyday! I absolutely was planning on filling and similarly decorating the Kitchen Cakes icon_smile.gif

The cake will be given as a gift because the bride to be is a great friend of mine icon_smile.gif

ANOTHER QUESTION- How far ahead of time can I pipe my black detail onto the white fondant? jw..

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 12

PiccoloChellie thanks for the answer for the dif. between sheet cakes and kitchen cakes. Learn something new every day. Thanks Again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%