90Th Birthday ....to Travel

Decorating By blinegirl Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm by emrldsky

blinegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blinegirl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:42am
post #1 of 2

I would like to make a 90th birthday cake for about 100 people. The problem it is a eight hour drive to the party. Any ideas on cakes that would travel easy? There will be a kitchen there so I could possible put to together there .....or decorate some of it.

1 reply
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinegirl

I would like to make a 90th birthday cake for about 100 people. The problem it is a eight hour drive to the party. Any ideas on cakes that would travel easy? There will be a kitchen there so I could possible put to together there .....or decorate some of it.

The cake in my avatar traveled, unstacked and undecorated (except for the fondant work) 9.5 hours. icon_smile.gif There's a larger version in my photos.

I stacked and added the ribbon and sugar flowers after arriving. The flowers were wired at home and gently placed in a box with tissue to prevent breakage.

That's the cake that made me realize I could do this. icon_smile.gif I used SPS (single plate system) for stacking. I had the legs and plates placed before travel, so I really only had to spend 20 minutes finishing the cake. It worked like a dream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%