Brother Turning 16- Need Cake Ideas!

Decorating By rkei Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm by rkei

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 11

Yep, me. Again. So, as ya'll know, I am not very good at cake decorating. My big bro is turning 16. He is really into mechanics, trucks, anything that has an enjine. He has even made a go cart, and completely transformed some other things! Back to the subject.... I have seen pictures of like cakes with race cars on them. The race cars are just like done with a star tip, flat against the cake, anyone know what I am talking about? Can anyone give me a simple, but good idea? Last year, I got some Kit-Kat bars and made a bunch of leaves on the tops of them with BC, and stuck them into the cake to look like "trees". It looked great! Then, I made some "dirtbike jumps" out of graham crackers. Again, looked great. I bought a cheap sport car from the store, and made it flying of the jump. It looked fantastic, in my eyes... but only want to copy what I did last year if I really have to. Thank you for any help you can give me!

10 replies
njoycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njoycakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 11

I think what you are talking about are the wilton shaped pans, I haven't used one myself but from what I've read they seem to be pretty straightforward and come out of the tin ok as long as you use some cake release. Have a look, see if this is what you're looking for. http://www.wilton.com/shapedpans/
Alternatively, if you don't want to fork out too much cash why not try to do a buttercream transfer? Again not something I've done but it looks simple enough to do and the overall effect is pretty impressive.
Or, if you're wanting to do a 3d type of cake, how about a race track, again you could use toy cars but in a different setting than the dirt track.
HTH

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 11

how about making a cake that looks like an engine block, and make gumpaste/fondant tools to go with it lay them around on the cake board.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe a sheet cake with a simple race track design? and you could buy little cars to put on it. I think you will do great. Keep up what you are doing. You are going to be a great cake decorator!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

how about making a cake that looks like an engine block, and make gumpaste/fondant tools to go with it lay them around on the cake board.

I like this idea! Just Google 'engine blocks' in Images and you should find some pictures you could work from.

njoycakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 11

Dude, just went to see if you had any photos of cakes you'd already done and noticed you only had 1 photo, then I felt like doing some more investigation (I wanted to find a pic of last year's cake, it sounded cool) and on your blog I found them. Why are you depriving CC of your cakes? they're good! and you're a great photographer by the way.
Make sure you post a pic of this cake, whatever you end up doing.
icon_lol.gif

rkei Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #7 of 11

@Kathy164: I love your idea! I am going to do it.
@tesso: I think that is a fantastic idea, and it would be my 1st. choice if I liked how fondant tasted and how to work gumpaste, Thanks anyways, though!
@njoycakes: Dude? Actually, it's a gal. LOL. Rachel's the name. I know, I have only posted one cake. Check for one in the disaster area when you are back on! Hopefully I will be able to upload my disaster cake soon! And at least another cake. If I still have a pic of it. Thank you on the great photographer part. I wish I was better! If I don't post any cakes on CC at least once a month, check my blog and you'll probably see one since we have b-days once or twice a month usually! I'll check out the cake pans!

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:01am
post #8 of 11

Oh wonderful!! Just remember to have fun with making the cake and be sure to post a pic!! Enjoy!!

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:59am
post #9 of 11

'rkei' Rachel, I had a look at your blog you are very talented. Your photograph's are gorgeous and you really should post your cake photo's on CC for everyone to enjoy. Keep up the good work. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

njoycakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:43am
post #10 of 11

hope you didn't take offence, I refer to everyone as dude, boys and girls alike, sorry, wasn't implying you were a guy icon_redface.gif

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 11

@njoycakes: No I didn't take offense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%