Rice Krispy Treat Question

Decorating By Jackie_PatriotsFan Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 1:57am by tracycakes

Jackie_PatriotsFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie_PatriotsFan Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 8

If I am making something using RKT's and it will have buttercream on the RKT to secure the fondant, how long in advance can I make this and keep it out before it will spoil? A week? Two weeks? Attempting to use RKT's for the first time for a cake at end of the month. Thanks.

7 replies
saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know about the bc part...but RKT's are pretty sticky and when I used them I didn't need anything to stick the fondant on. Just wanted to put in my 1/2 a cent. icon_lol.gif probably not worth 2. icon_rolleyes.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 8

I was taught to use buttercream under the fondant to smooth out the lumps and bumps because RKT's can be pretty bumpy!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 8

I like to coat RKT with melted white chocolate to smooth out the texture before applying fondant.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 8

I once made RKT's 2 weeks in advance, I just did not coat it with the buttercream until I was ready to put my cake together.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

I was informed last week about this issue, it was my first time also. icon_biggrin.gif
1.- Buy PRE MADE RICEKRISPIES BARS, best advice ever!
nuke it for 5-10 seconds.I forgot about this step and it almost cost me, but I manage it to fixed it icon_eek.gif
2.-Not to make it so much ahead of time because it becomes stale, it does not matter if no one is going to eat it icon_smile.gif Don't count on it! Everyone is going to try to get a piece of it, if not the whole piece icon_surprised.gif

3.-Covered it with modeling chocolate...I did not have that so I use Wiltons candy melts...BIG MISTAKE!! I ended covering it with buttercream on top of the candy melts plus the fondant on top, the neck of the guitar was a bit thicker than I wanted . When the kids found out the neck of guitar was made of RKP they could not wait for the cutting of cake. I was making a FLYING V GUITAR CAKE,

I wished you luck!!!! thumbs_up.gif I learned all of this thanks to all our CC friends here. icon_smile.gif

kittyskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittyskakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 8

I used store bought premade rkts to make a mini football, used them right out of the package, didn't nuke or anything and molded them into the football, I molded them so tightly that there were no bumps and I was able to secure the fondant on without anything. I knew that it would not be eatten so I was not concerned about it being so tightly packed lol.

I used homemade rkts with a racecar I made and was so messy and had to use buttercream to smooth the bumps.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #8 of 8

I make mine fresh because they mold better. To me, once they sit overnight, it's too hard to mold them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%