Red Velvet Cake Batter All Over The Kitchen Floor!!

Decorating By Kandykin Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 5:32am by Kandykin

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 14

Kicking myself for this. My cake was safely in the oven and I was patting myself on my back for the speed in which I got to put in 2 cake flavors in the oven. 10 minutes later I noticed I forgot to put the baking strips on my red velvet pan and so took it out very carefully and managed to put the strip on before the cake got too cold. Putting it back in, the pan snagged on the rack and the whole pan tipped over! The pan was hot (or so I thought) and I guess I wasn't holding it as well as I should have and worrying about the strips falling off because I didn't get it too snug (on the account of the pan being hot and not wanting to burn myself).
I could just cry icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I have a busy week and have 3 cakes due Friday and I thought I was doing good with time and now this. I still have to do 3 more cakes but have to put it on hold till the oven cools enough for me to clean it before the batter burns any more than it already has. sob. icon_cry.gif

The saddest point in this is they were magic line pans and probably didn't even need the strips in the first place even though I put them on.

Anyone know how to clean burnt batter from the oven??? nevermind about the 3 soaked and stained kitchen towels sitting in my sink at the moment icon_confused.gif

13 replies
adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 14

I feel your pain! I've dumped a full cake pan of red velvet batter on my kitchen floor before!!!! Not fun to clean up at all. I didn't get any on my oven, so I can't really help there, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one icon_smile.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 14

Oh that's horrible. I feel you're pain. I've spilled some into the oven before but I gently took a metal spatula, scraped it out and the oven burned the rest off cause I couldn't quit baking. It wasn't a big amount like your's though. Wish I could help you clean it up!

Kandykin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you for the support ladies. Managed to clean most of it with a wet sponge , the heat of the oven and a small knife. The oven door is still "bleeding", but it's probably ready for the next round of cakes. This has set me back a couple of hrs already...grrr. icon_mad.gif

dpdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpdavis Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 14

My DH bought self-rising flour instead of regular flour the other day and I didn't notice it until the pound cake spilled over the top of the pan and smoke filled the kitchen! So now I have to clean the oven too!

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 14

I had a cake that overflowed in the oven too!!! It was such a mess.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 14

Oh man! It had to be Red Velvet. (((hugs)))

Kandykin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #8 of 14

Misery loves company, don't it? icon_lol.gif Thank you for making me feel better.
I baked the rest of the cakes and then hear from one of the customers asking me if I could please make the cake bigger because she is having more people come to the party. Oh well. So its now 11.20pm and I just put the last batch in the oven after kids activities- phew!
Now to tackle the still "cloudy" tiles on my kitchen floor and the stove and counters need a good wipe down as well.

Kandykin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwnest

Oh man! It had to be Red Velvet. (((hugs)))

yeah, really - didn't happen with the vanilla or pineapple icon_evil.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:52am
post #10 of 14

It's not a good look is it icon_sad.gif
Sorry it happened - i bet you tapedshut.gif ..................... icon_wink.gif

Reminds me of the time i made a 10 inch chocolate mud cake and i never clicked icon_redface.gif that i linned a sprinform pan and then tipped all the batter into it -
Popped it into the oven - and toddled off to have a shower - make bed - tidy up - yadda yadda yadda.
40 Minutes later i walk into kitchen and icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif .
There is my chocolate mud cake batter building up against the inside of the oven door....and starting to ooze out the bottom of the door....and of course start to drip into the grill unde the oven.
I just stood there icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif because i knew that as soon as i opened the oven door it was going to go everywhere -
and of course it did.

As i was cleaning it all up the phone rang - a girlfriend said "Hi, what are you doing?"
Me - trying to clean the volcanic overflow that is happening in my oven icon_mad.gif

LOL - Don't you just love being a *caker* - so many tears of joy -
SO MANY TEARS - lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Bluehue.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:02am
post #11 of 14

Sorry to hear that. That really sucks!

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #12 of 14

That is horrible. Nothing like "bloody" red velvet everywhere.

My very first experience with red velvet was also a nightmare. I was making a sample cake for a bride to taste different fillings, and did not know at that point that I could freeze the left over batter so I put it down the drain. Well, little did I know that one of the pipes under the sink was loose and when I turned on the garbage disposal it came all the way off.

Boy, was I in for a shock the next day when I opened the cabinet under my sink to find everything covered in red velvet cake batter!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #13 of 14

if i saw that under muy s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcDonald

That is horrible. Nothing like "bloody" red velvet everywhere.

My very first experience with red velvet was also a nightmare. I was making a sample cake for a bride to taste different fillings, and did not know at that point that I could freeze the left over batter so I put it down the drain. Well, little did I know that one of the pipes under the sink was loose and when I turned on the garbage disposal it came all the way off.

Boy, was I in for a shock the next day when I opened the cabinet under my sink to find everything covered in red velvet cake batter!

OMG - thats worse than dropping something on the floor - or having a volcanic monent in ones oven.
I would surely icon_cry.giftapedshut.gificon_cry.giftapedshut.gif if i opened my kitchen cupboard and saw that............................ *faint*

Bluehue.

Kandykin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:32am
post #14 of 14

Wow, Bluhue and SMcDonald - sounds like I had it easy. Didn't feel like it at the time, but now that my oven and kitchen floor is cleaned up, the cakes finished and I had a couple of hrs to cool off, my disaster seems minor compared to yours.
I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

And nwnest - I so needed that hug icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%