Cherry Chip Cake?

Baking By aprilblack Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm by LisaMarie86

aprilblack Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 13

Hi, I just had someone request a cherry chip cake.. Apparently it is vanilla cake with cherry chip.. no chocolate... has anyone done this one and if so, mind sharing the recipe?? This cake is for Thursday so I need to get on it pronto!!

Thanks so much in advance... April

12 replies
AmandaGudi Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 13

Hi!

I don't know a recipe for you but I know cherry chip is a boxed cake mix that is sold in all the stores by me, thats probably where they got the idea?

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

Hi, I just had someone request a cherry chip cake.. Apparently it is vanilla cake with cherry chip.. no chocolate... has anyone done this one and if so, mind sharing the recipe?? This cake is for Thursday so I need to get on it pronto!!

Thanks so much in advance... April




Betty Crocker makes a cherry chip cake mix. I had a request for this cake last year.

aprilblack Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 13

really, I have NEVER seen this one.. huh... That ya'll I wil lhave to check it out then.

Kell0006 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 13

I've had a few requests for this and have used both the box mix and white cake with actual cherry chips in it. I found both the mix and cherry chips at the hispanic grocery store in town. It also makes great chocolate covered cherry cake balls!!

Price Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 13

I make Cherry Nut, but hadn't heard of cherry chip before.

KoryAK Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 13

Really? You found just cherry chips?? Is the baked result similar to the boxed one? We get this request from time to time but we bake only from scratch, so usually just talk them into a cherry flavored cake instead of cherry chip.

leily Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 13

oh cherry chip is the favorite of our house. As mentioned, i haven't founda recipe yet that compares to the box mix. I have looked specifically for cherry chips (like for baking) but can't find them around me anymore) Call a few stores around you to see if they carry it, as there is only one around me that does. (wal-mart doesn't anymore icon_sad.gif )

aprilblack Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone.. being that this cake was a last minute request and is for Thursday, I am making the standard vanilla cake recipe and adding 10 oz jar of chopped cherries and sustitute some of the water for cherry juice.. Batter was very tasty so we will see!! and BTW the chocolate covered cake balls sounds delicious!! I am hoping for a lot of cake scraps so I can whip up some!!

lorilori Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #10 of 13

Sounds like the OP has a good plan, but for those of you looking for cherry chips, you can get them online here:

http://loghousefoods.elsstore.com/view/category/2548-baking-chips/

The Wal-Marts near me also carry them, but I know that changes from area to area!

chrissypie Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #11 of 13

I think the cherry chip boxed mix has a medicinal taste. I bought it from Amazon after hearing about it, I think it was Betty Crocker, it was gross.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:15am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

I think the cherry chip boxed mix has a medicinal taste. I bought it from Amazon after hearing about it, I think it was Betty Crocker, it was gross.




I agree but to me ANYTHING cherry "flavored" taste medicinal. I only like fresh cherries. I do not like the taste of them after they've been cooked or processed in anyway.

LisaMarie86 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

Thanks everyone.. being that this cake was a last minute request and is for Thursday, I am making the standard vanilla cake recipe and adding 10 oz jar of chopped cherries and sustitute some of the water for cherry juice.. Batter was very tasty so we will see!! and BTW the chocolate covered cake balls sounds delicious!! I am hoping for a lot of cake scraps so I can whip up some!!




That sounds really good. I am going to have to make this sometime.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%