How To Make A Pearl Border?

Decorating By Kandy4283 Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 2:15am by KayMc

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 9

I have an upcoming wedding cake and she wants just a plain white cake with a pearl looking border....but the trick is, she wants it to be edible and no fondant....

I know that I can make this with white bc, but how am i going to get it to look like pearls? I have looked on other cakes and most are made with fondant or gumpaste and stuff like that and this is not what she is wanting....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 9

I'm sorry, but I think these brides who are fuss budgets about something as insignificant as a border--that rarely makes it onto the cake plate at serving, anyway--just drive me nuts.

They send you searching for a solution that will be more effort and time consumption just because they're afraid they'll get cooties from a single tiny pearl of fondant that may get onto their plate.

First off, I'd tell her that a piped pearl border will be an extra $1/serving icon_evil.gif You have to make icing just the right consistency to hold it's shape but not form a point when piped and you have to pipe them all the same size.......

My next suggestion is to make a molded border out of modeling chocolate. If she's not happy with either solution, cut her loose.

JMHO
Rae

Kandy4283 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 9

Ha! Love it! I am getting so frusterated with this whole ordeal! I did not think about trying then molded choc border! I think I may take a stab at that and see how it turns out! Thanks so much for the advice!

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

My next suggestion is to make a molded border out of modeling chocolate. If she's not happy with either solution, cut her loose.

My first thought was modeling chocolate as well.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

They send you searching for a solution that will be more effort and time consumption just because they're afraid they'll get cooties from a single tiny pearl of fondant that may get onto their plate.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
LMAO cooties! Love it.

I like the modeling chocolate idea. Who doesnt like modeling chocolate?

Kandy4283 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 9

I have never molded chocolate, so this will be a new one for me! I am kind of excited to go get the stuff and try it! How exactly do you do it?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 9

Recipe here:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15822/modeling-chocolate-white

Knead like fondant to condition--no crisco--roll on cornstarch. Dust pearl mold w/ a bit of cornstarch, too.

Rae

Kandy4283 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:07am
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #9 of 9

I would make a pearl border out of MFF or Fondarific fondant, and let her taste it without knowing what it was before she tasted it. Then, when she says how GOOD it tastes, you can tell her she ate fondant. I made a pearl border out of the fondarific fondant, and it was so incredibly deliscious!!! And a wonderful consistency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%