Wedding Cake - Deliver With Dec. Or W-Out?

Decorating By dalis4joe Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm by tiggy2

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding cake (red velvet with cream cheese icing) due this weekend.... I did over 100+ gumpaste daisies for the cake... I know they are fragile (they are very thin)...

Do I put the gumpaste flowers before I leave? or

Do I add the flowers at the venue?

I got the SPS system for this cake, but I am not sure about the flowers... what do you think?

TIA

9 replies
dalis4joe Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:36am
post #2 of 10

what if I do a spray of the whole design in a way that I can just place it on the cake already assembled? can it be done? do u know how?

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:08am
post #3 of 10

Last time I did gumpaste flowers on a wedding cake I fully assembled the cake before delivering and brought extra flowers in case there were any breakages.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:16am
post #4 of 10

http://allrecipes.com/Cook/13754506/Photos.aspx?Page=6 I made a three tier wedding cake with daisies but they were on wires. I had to assemble the entire cake because the bridesmaids picked up the cake and then gave it to the groom and traveled for almost two hours. UGH! Once it leaves it's no longer my problem. LOL. It even traveled up a bumpy dirt road. Gotta love my stress free supports.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 10

My vote is decorate as MUCH as possible before you get to the event. Make enough daises for breakage. When you get to the event, if any broke just replace...

Thanks,

Michael

dalis4joe Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 10

thanks guys... I will do just that... decorate before... also

do you know of any tuts for flower placement/arranging?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 10

The cake I have in my avatar was put together, and then driven 5 miles to the reception site as it is pictured (a larger version is in my photos).

I think arranging them on the spray was the BEST idea I ever copied, lol. There was some movement from the wires, but the flowers were 100% in-tact by the time we got there. (I did use coffee stirring straws for the wires, so they weren't directly in the cake.)

And I dunno about arranging tutorials, but you can always look at pictures of real daisies and how they appear, and go from there.

Good luck!!!

dalis4joe Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 10

thanks a lot... that's a good idea.... I will try that... I just want to make sure they look nice distributed and placed.... and I like the idea of the coffee stirrers...

so you did the spray and wired together... then just placed on the cake?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

thanks a lot... that's a good idea.... I will try that... I just want to make sure they look nice distributed and placed.... and I like the idea of the coffee stirrers...

so you did the spray and wired together... then just placed on the cake?

I used wire around some of the joints to attach it to the cake, which is where the coffee stirrers came in handy. icon_smile.gif If I had thought ahead of time, I would have brought some RI with me to try and "glue" the wires into the straws, but with everything else I had to think about for that trip, it just didn't occur to me. icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 10

Jennifer Dontz has a DVD on arranging gumpaste flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%