Quick!!!! I Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 4:09am by ohayr639

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #1 of 10

I made two 2in high 10in sq cakes for tomorrow and when I went to unwrap them they both broke a little. These will be the bottom tier, and I have already filled them.

What I am wondering is if I need to remake them since they broke? If I am going to remake them I need to start NOW!!!

Thanks! And I already feel like an idiot so. . .

9 replies
lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #2 of 10

It depends how broken they are. If just a little the icing should fill everything in.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:08am
post #3 of 10

Nah icing will stick everything together just fine, unless they're in crumbles.

ohayr639 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #4 of 10

Not crumbles, the top layer about a 2 in piece completely broken off and into three pieces and then the bottom just cracked a bit.

They are also SUPER sticky. . . Where does that come from?

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #5 of 10

Ah! It's hard to tell from your description. I find that buttercream can heal a lot of wounds though. Can you stuff the broken pieces back in the hole and glue it together with buttercream? Are you putting fondant on this cake? Make sure when you stack it that it is NO MORE THAN 4" TALL so that your top cakes wont be pressing on your bottom tier, making it likely to crack more.

It's really so hard to say without seeing it, hon. Sometimes it's fixable, sometimes it's not. icon_sad.gif

ohayr639 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #6 of 10

JCE, do mean the tier above it not being more than 4in tall? I think mine is 6 for the design I am doing. I am using SPS to stack it, does that help?!

I put it in the fridge and it seems to be doing better! Now I just wish I could sit in there too!

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #7 of 10

I had a similar problem with a 14" square earlier today. When I split it to fill the top section broke into 4 pieces. I was able to fix it with buttercream before I put the fondant on. Mine wasn't stacked tough. It doesn't sound too bad so I would try to fix it before going to all the trouble of rebaking. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #8 of 10

If the crack is major and its on the bottom of a tier, I would be very careful, becaue if its the base for the cake, it can really cause calamity. I have read this in here many times. However as said previously, if its not major then bc will mend it. hth

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

JCE, do mean the tier above it not being more than 4in tall? I think mine is 6 for the design I am doing. I am using SPS to stack it, does that help?!

I put it in the fridge and it seems to be doing better! Now I just wish I could sit in there too!

Ack! If you are using the normal 4" colums for the SPS, then you cant have 6" tiers. Are you using the colums that you can cut to size? I didnt think they made 6" colums. I just assumed it was supposed to be 4" because you said you had two 2"tall 10" layers. Maybe I misunderstood?

Did you glue the pieces back in there? Did it work ok? Wow Im getting nervous with you! lol!

ohayr639 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:09am
post #10 of 10

JCE, sorry I wasn't very clear. . . The bottom tier is 4in, the top is 6in. I do however, just buy plastic dowels and measure and cut to what I need. I am HORRIBLE at making sure it is exactly 4in, any tips?

I did glue the pieces back together and it is now frosted and in the fridge. I think that was my problem to begin with: it just got way too warm in my house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%