Need Help On My First Cake

Decorating By leana1013 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 3:06am by chellescountrycakes

leana1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leana1013 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 5

I need help making my boyfriends birthday cake. So I was thinking of making a butter yellow cake with chocolate butter cream(his favorite) and I wanted to cover the cake with fondant but my problem is that no one likes fondant or marshmallow fondant so I wanted to know if I could cover the cake with modeling chocolate and if it would taste ok. I never worked with modeling chocolate before so I have no idea what Im doing..this cake is going to be a surprise so I only have one day to do it....really need your advise and suggestions

4 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #2 of 5

I've never used modelling chocolate so I can't help you there. What about ganache over the top. If he likes chocolate then he would like that. I have only used it to cover a cake once, but was easy to make and work with and covered the cake nicely.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 5

It can be tricky to cover a cake in modeling chocolate - if you've only got one day, you might not want to try something so new without enough time to fix it if problems crop up. MC tends to tear more easily than fondant and can seep oils.

What you might consider is mixing 50/50 fondant and modeling chocolate together; just knead equal parts together real well until it's all cohesive. It tastes great and is MUCH easier to work with. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 5

Can't remember who he is but there is a famous cake decorator that uses only modeling chocolate to cover his cakes.

I've never covered a cake with modeling chocolate only but I've mixed 50/50 with fondant. I can be done though.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #5 of 5

Have you tried to flavor the fondant with jello? I put 1/2 a packet of strawberry in at Tesso (I think... Sorry!!) 's suggestion, and it was good. REAL good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%