What Is Your Opinion On Fondant Ribbon Roses???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm by multilayered

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all!

I was hoping I can get some input or even some picture examples. I really enjoy making Fondant Ribbon roses. They are really easy compared to the traditional Gumpaste or BC roses.

Do you think they are "formal"? I have a Police academy graduation cake due in a few weeks. I am in the planning stages now. I wanted to do some matching color roses. However, I want to do ribbon style roses. Do you think I can make them look formal?

If you take a look at my photos, the spider-man and 40th cake have the roses on them.

Have you ever done ribbon roses for a wedding???

Thank you in advance!
Michael

12 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 13

I think most people would consider fondant ribbon roses to be more on the whimsical side, but your black & white roses on the 40th cake do have an elegant flair to them in my opinion. I guess it depends on what color roses they want (if bright or primary colorsthey won't look so formal). Your roses look great... perhaps you could suggest the color you'd like to make them, and see if they'd agree. I vote yes... it could work!

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 13

I saw a beautiful ribbon rose wedding cake on the Martha Stewart site and it was quite elegant.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 13

ok, sorry I just looked it up and the ribbon roses were made from swiss meringue. But I bet you could get just as elegant with fondant. Here is the link

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/swiss-meringue-ribbon-roses?lnc=4db27a48efa1d110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=recipecontent_planning

and here is a link to a photo of the finished cake, I think it is stunning!

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/50-great-cakes#slide_35

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 13

Here is a picture of I cake I just made recently with ribbon roses. I think they can look eleganticon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 13

multilayered....

I love the cake. Those roses do look formal. I am going to have to have to practive some more roses before the actual cake is due.

Thank you all for sharing the pictures...

=)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 13

[quote="Mikel79"]I am going to have to have to practive some more roses before the actual cake is due. quote]

You DO NOT need to practice!!!! The way you make your ruffled ribbon roses (like on your B&W cake)... they're FAB!!!! Continue making them as you already do--your talent shows. I wouldn't change a thing.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 13

I like to make them too and I do think they look formal, plus the colors make a diference

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 13

I love love love me some ribbon roses... so easy and yet elegant in a contemporary way, thumbs_up.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 13

Someone posted a cake recently with some GORGEOUS yellow ribbon roses. I forgot to fave it and have been searching the galleries for it to ask how they were done. They looked more "real", but they didn't have the teardrop wrap on a formed petal rose. The entire top of the cake was covered in them. It was beautiful...if someone can find that cake it shows that they can look very elegant.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 13
Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 13

CWR41...

Thank you, that was a nice compliment!

Thank you everyone else for the feedback!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

multilayered....

I love the cake. Those roses do look formal. I am going to have to have to practive some more roses before the actual cake is due.

Thank you all for sharing the pictures...

=)

Thank you so much for the compliment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%