Non-Refridgerated Fillings

Decorating By efudd Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm by efudd

efudd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
efudd Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone. I have been looking at this site for a while and just finally joined on. I have seen this question asked before but I was hoping there may be some fresh ideas out there or a new set of eyes watching this question. Anyway, I am doing a cake for a park opening and am planning for about 150. I am in need of a fairly versatile, non-refridgerated filling. I know I could do the standby with buttercream variations but I was hoping for a mousse, a jello/whipped cream mixture etc... I would appreciate any feedback. THANKS!!!

14 replies
lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 15

this is an amazing thread with dozens of filling ideas

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554.html

efudd Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you for the thread Lizabu. I did have a quick glance and they sound great. I would still be intersted in any other suggstions though as many of these I believe would need to be refridgerated amd would maybe not stand the test of outside for several hours. BUT BOY DO THEY SOUND DELICIOUS!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

efudd Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:10am
post #4 of 15

Just wanting to keep in touch to see if anyone has any other suggestions out there still. I have a couple of ideas in mind after that great list from Lizabu, but still could use any other ideas......The cake is due in three days. I AM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!! Thanks

kclovesken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kclovesken Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #5 of 15

I am very interested in this also...I asked awhile back and still kinda curious about non refridge fillings.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 15

How long will it be sitting outside for? Pastry Pride can stay unrefridgerated for up to 5 hours, I believe. So if you're within that time limit, you could use that for your jello/whip mixture or I use it in my mousses also.

efudd Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #7 of 15

Pastry Pride? I am in Canada and have not heard of this. Is it a whipped topping substitute? It should not be out longer than two hours I would think.

sweetlybaked Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 15

It can actually stay out for 5 DAYS now that I read into it. Yes, it is a whipped cream substitute. Non-Dairy. Bettercream also. You can buy it at Smart and Final or Sams...Costco might even sell you some from the bakery, but I'm not too sure about them.

lbeachartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbeachartist Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 15

Hmmm, do you think I could add some fresh strawberries to Pastry Pride for a make-ahead non refrigerated filling? I thought that if the berries aren't overly ripe they would be okay. No sure though. Thanks.

sweetlybaked Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 15

I use fresh strawberries in my pastry pride all the time. I usually mix it up right before filling, or possibly the night before though.

efudd Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #11 of 15

Thank you so much for the information on this stuff. I will certainly look in to that ASAP. I really appreciate the feedback as I am wanting to keep trying new things but it makes it diffucult when weather is a factor. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and I will look forward to reading and posting others.

lbeachartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbeachartist Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #12 of 15

Thanks, strawberries it is! This solves a lot of questions.

sweetlybaked Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #13 of 15

efudd, I think I would be more worried with the whipped topping as the actual frosting, with it being in the filling, it's not directly affected by the heat. HTH.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #14 of 15

There is a cookies and cream recipe on here, made with MM fluff, is great and different. If using fruit, I use canned pie filling, a little more stable, still I wouldn't push it more than 1/2 day. Depends on temp of course. I 've been looking also, and then i realized ...what can stay out of the fridge that is fresh??? Not alot with out tons of preservatives!So that leaves shortening and ganashe, and marshmellow, I guess....i might try jam in the marsh mellow mixture. If you cant find fluff you can google a recipe, made with light corn syrup. HTH

efudd Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you ALL very much. While the cake is out of my hands. It went over extremely well. In the end I did a chocolate and vanilla cake with a strawberry mousse filling. (so bottom chocolate, stawberry mousse filling, and vanilla - neopolitan look as it was for about 150 people) The weather was great and cool here today and I think in the end I am very pleased. I look forward to learning more and adding my two cents on this site. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%