Non-Refridgerated Fillings

Decorating By efudd Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm by efudd

efudd Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone. I have been looking at this site for a while and just finally joined on. I have seen this question asked before but I was hoping there may be some fresh ideas out there or a new set of eyes watching this question. Anyway, I am doing a cake for a park opening and am planning for about 150. I am in need of a fairly versatile, non-refridgerated filling. I know I could do the standby with buttercream variations but I was hoping for a mousse, a jello/whipped cream mixture etc... I would appreciate any feedback. THANKS!!!

14 replies
lizabu Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 15

this is an amazing thread with dozens of filling ideas

efudd Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you for the thread Lizabu. I did have a quick glance and they sound great. I would still be intersted in any other suggstions though as many of these I believe would need to be refridgerated amd would maybe not stand the test of outside for several hours. BUT BOY DO THEY SOUND DELICIOUS!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

efudd Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:10am
post #4 of 15

Just wanting to keep in touch to see if anyone has any other suggestions out there still. I have a couple of ideas in mind after that great list from Lizabu, but still could use any other ideas......The cake is due in three days. I AM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!! Thanks

kclovesken Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #5 of 15

I am very interested in this also...I asked awhile back and still kinda curious about non refridge fillings.

sweetlybaked Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 15

How long will it be sitting outside for? Pastry Pride can stay unrefridgerated for up to 5 hours, I believe. So if you're within that time limit, you could use that for your jello/whip mixture or I use it in my mousses also.

efudd Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #7 of 15

Pastry Pride? I am in Canada and have not heard of this. Is it a whipped topping substitute? It should not be out longer than two hours I would think.

sweetlybaked Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 15

It can actually stay out for 5 DAYS now that I read into it. Yes, it is a whipped cream substitute. Non-Dairy. Bettercream also. You can buy it at Smart and Final or Sams...Costco might even sell you some from the bakery, but I'm not too sure about them.

lbeachartist Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 15

Hmmm, do you think I could add some fresh strawberries to Pastry Pride for a make-ahead non refrigerated filling? I thought that if the berries aren't overly ripe they would be okay. No sure though. Thanks.

sweetlybaked Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 15

I use fresh strawberries in my pastry pride all the time. I usually mix it up right before filling, or possibly the night before though.

efudd Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #11 of 15

Thank you so much for the information on this stuff. I will certainly look in to that ASAP. I really appreciate the feedback as I am wanting to keep trying new things but it makes it diffucult when weather is a factor. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and I will look forward to reading and posting others.

lbeachartist Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #12 of 15

Thanks, strawberries it is! This solves a lot of questions.

sweetlybaked Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #13 of 15

efudd, I think I would be more worried with the whipped topping as the actual frosting, with it being in the filling, it's not directly affected by the heat. HTH.

bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #14 of 15

There is a cookies and cream recipe on here, made with MM fluff, is great and different. If using fruit, I use canned pie filling, a little more stable, still I wouldn't push it more than 1/2 day. Depends on temp of course. I 've been looking also, and then i realized ...what can stay out of the fridge that is fresh??? Not alot with out tons of preservatives!So that leaves shortening and ganashe, and marshmellow, I guess....i might try jam in the marsh mellow mixture. If you cant find fluff you can google a recipe, made with light corn syrup. HTH

efudd Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you ALL very much. While the cake is out of my hands. It went over extremely well. In the end I did a chocolate and vanilla cake with a strawberry mousse filling. (so bottom chocolate, stawberry mousse filling, and vanilla - neopolitan look as it was for about 150 people) The weather was great and cool here today and I think in the end I am very pleased. I look forward to learning more and adding my two cents on this site. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%