Sponge Cake For Baby Shower?

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm by chillysmommy

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 3

My husband tasted a sampling of my sponge cake soaked with strawberry syrup filled with chocolate mousse. The syrup was a little thick so it didn't soak too deep and the sponge is a little tougher than I'd like. He seemed to think it was odd biting into a sponge cake that tasted more like a european dessert more than a party cake. What do you all think?

If I do go with this, I think I'll cover in buttercream, since I want to cover in fondant, will that work?

2 replies
Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 3

My husband tasted a sampling of my sponge cake soaked with strawberry syrup filled with chocolate mousse. The syrup was a little thick so it didn't soak too deep and the sponge is a little tougher than I'd like. He seemed to think it was odd biting into a sponge cake that tasted more like a european dessert more than a party cake. What do you all think?

If I do go with this, I think I'll cover in buttercream, since I want to cover in fondant, will that work?

My most popular cake is the "sponge". I would not recommend covering this cake in fondant. I have tried a variety of frostings and the best is IBC or Whipped cream. When the cakes are cooled, I gently pat/soak with simple syrup and I always add Kirsch Cherry Brandy. The alcohol burns out and leaves a nice flavor. Then I fill the center with mousse and/whipped cream (with stabilizer) and sometimes fruit.

I have tried to add some heavy BC before and the whole thing just toppled! Stick with a heavier typ cake if you use fondant.

Does that help?

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 3

VERY insightful. I've already put Chocolate and regular WASC in the oven. THANK YOU! I was wondering why it worked so well for my parents' anniversary cake and it's not working for this. I used SMBC outside and pastry cream inside for that one and the liquor sugar soak made it taste wonderful. THANKS again. I feel I've made the right choice to go with regular cake for this one.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%