Gum Paste Cracking

Baking By Adelia Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm by Marianna46

Adelia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adelia Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 2

I tried making a gum paste bow and rolled gum paste roses for my niece's bday cake for Saturday but the gum paste keeps craking. When I rolled it out to make the roses the edge is all cracked not smooth. When I roll out the gum paste for the bow it stays smooth up until I fold the bow over and pinch the end. Then it cracks. I figured the corn starch was drying it out so I added crisco but it's still cracking. Help!!! Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 2

Is this home-made or something like gumtex? My go-to answer is usually to add crisco, but if you've already done that, you could try heating the gumpaste for 10-12 seconds in the microwave. When my gumpaste starts drying out, that works for me. The only drawback is that you have to keep heating it, because once it cools down, it goes back to its original consistency. And if you heat it too much it gets sticky and you have to wait till it cools down. You might just have to look for a better gumpaste recipe. The one I use is Nicholas Lodge's, and it's always worked for me. (The drying problems were all with Gumtex).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%