Said No, And It Felt Good!

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 2:09am by JCE62108

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 34

I don't know about a lot of you, but I find myself saying "yes" to orders all the time when I know I'm not really going to have the time to work on them, and it's going to take me away from my family, etc. (I work full time...decorating is a hobby for me). Anyways, I got this email today:

Hello -
Sorry for the short notice but I am wondering if you will be able to make a cake for Saturday, June 12th.
I am needing a grooms cake - we do not need anything real big and just single layer. I would like to have a truck that looks like the grooms (his baby, lol) on it . I have included a pic below of what it looks like. And if possible I would like to have it so it looks like an actual truck sitting on top of the cake and have cans tied on the back of the truck and also have 'Just Hitched' on the back window with
"name" and "name" some where on the cake.
Is that something you can do and can you do it that weekend? I would like to plan on picking it up on Friday the 11th or early the 12th.
If it is something you can do what would the price be?

I promptly responded and told her that sorry, but I won't have time for her order unfortunately, but hope she can find someone to do it. Anyway, I just wanted to share my small victory! LOL. I'm tired of doing cakes for nothing, with no notice!! No more!

33 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 34

Good for you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif - sometimes saying *no* is far better for our health and mind.

I LOL where she wrote "nothing real big" an then went on to say all that she wanted....
just a single layer with a thumping big truck on it - icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 34

Good for you!

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 34

Good job!!! Here's a virtual *PAT ON THE BACK* ! I know I've taken some orders when I should have said no and the stress was not worth the money. It's liberating to say no and have that time to yourself! thumbs_up.gif

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 34

Yay, good job!! I only bake for friends, but I'm still having a hard time saying no to last minute orders. It must feel great hey? icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 34

Yeah, they say, "nothing big" in relation to size. But what they do not realize is even a small truck and all the details being reqeusted take soooo much work. ...

... another cake muggle.... dunce.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyndmy

Yay, good job!! I only bake for friends, but I'm still having a hard time saying no to last minute orders. It must feel great hey? icon_biggrin.gif

Strange how it takes longer to say *yes* than *no* yet it seems to be the hardest word for people to say...

If you can't say *no* just say "ohhh, what a shame...i can't"
Perhaps you feel saying *no* is too harsh.
They will soon learn that you aren't prepared to drop everything for their emergancey.-
LOLLL - it empowers you - plus your sanity stays intact thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 34

Good job! I've been there and you have to be able to say no, even in business when you are booked, you gotta say no.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 34

My latest rule is to say Ill look in my dairy first. This gives you time to think. Otherwise I always said yes and ended up baking all night!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

I LOL where she wrote "nothing real big" an then went on to say all that she wanted....
just a single layer with a thumping big truck on it - icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I was laughing at that part myself! Just a single layer ... and oh yeah add this stuff!

I had a catering request from a movie company once. They wanted three meals a day for 8 days .... well, not REALLY 3 meals. Breakfast could be simple, just maybe some breakfast sandwiches (uh, that's bread, sausage, and eggs .... otherwise known as a WHOLE MEAL!) with bagels and muffins on the side, juice and fruit.

Lunch could be no big deal...... just sandwiches (3 kinds), chips, fruit, veggie trays, and a dessert. Not a meal ... just sandwiches.

Dinner was a regular meal.

Plus snacks throughout the day. the list of snacks was exhaustive.

By the time I worked everyting out, I had to point out that they were actually asking for FIVE meals in a day.

But they wanted a quote for 2 meals plus "snacks". They got a quote for 5 meals.

Someone else got the job. THANK. GOD!!!!!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 34

Good job! I have a lady at work that does this to me all the time. She asked me on Wednesday night to make a cake for her husbands birthday on Friday and I told her no. She gave the the dirtiest look. She always orders Tres leches cakes one layer white and one layer chocolate with a layer of vanilla mousse and whipped frosting. I reminded her that the cake she order takes time. I have to bake, pour on the milk custard let it sit and then decorate two soggy cakes with a filling. People seem to think we have a store in available to us 24 -7. I also told her that I would have to purchase the items needed to make her cake. I really enjoyed saying no. Last month she asked me to make a grooms cake for a man at work they were throwing him a little party before his wedding. Then she adds in can you also make me a cake for the same day. I about flipped. People never learn.

jardot22 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 34

Yep - I felt like it was time to finally respect myself and my time and stop catering to people that plan poorly and aren't willing to pay the price for something that requires so much time, stress, and energy. I don't charge enough as it is, and I'm tired of being a doormat for people just wanting to get a piece of cake art for the price they'd pay at Walmart. It's funny how enjoyable saying no really is when you finally reach that point of exhaustion and frustration! icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 34

Good job! icon_smile.gif Yeah nothing elaborate, just a single layer cake with a carved cake on ytop! LOL Nothing to detailish, but I want X,X,X,X on the truck cause as we all know that's his baby!!! LOL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 34

I've had to turn away tons of people this month...I just tell them that I'm sorry but I'm booked up through the end of June.

The nice thing is, the bigger orders are usually planned farther ahead than the small orders...so the earlier I get booked up, the less annoying small cakes I have to do. haha. Well theoretically anyway....

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 34

I am so right there with you and giving you a high five. Just in the last two weeks I have turned down cake orders realizing I create my own stress when I say yes to short orders. I just had a lady call and ask if I could do a John Deere cut out cake, it would only be for 10 pepole and it wouldn't have to be anything great....Well even if it is for 10 pepole I still have to bake, cut out frost and decorate so it might as well be for 50.( I didn't tell her that but thought it in my mind) Plus the other graduation cakes I need to complete for customers who did call in advance. Then she wanted to know how much it would cost, people sure do not realize how much time these cakes take and think they should only be $25. to $30 just because it is only for 10 pepole.
I felt so liberated saying "Thank You" for thinking of me but I am to booked up for this weekend to take this on, but please keep me in mind for future dates. I know she didn't like it but it sure felt good...

jardot22 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 34

Haha yeah I thought it was laughable too, how she started out saying just a single layer, then all of a sudden wanted a 3D truck on top. Ha! Simple my rear.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #17 of 34

"Just a simple little cake" is almost never that.....

Just ask any Wilton Course One student. hahahaha

(That was my favorite part about the two months I taught Wilton....watching their shocked faces when they report how many hours it took them just to ice an 8" round and put a border on it, and make a few roses!!!!)

Not making fun of wilton students...on the contrary...you have to actually sit down and decorate a cake before you can appreciate the work that goes into it. Even a fast professional decorator still puts more work into the cake than it "appears" when you see it sitting there looking so pretty and "simple"....

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #18 of 34

I have always said "yes" without checking my book until I scheduled 7 big cakes in one weekend. Big Mistake!!! I worked 4 days straight and only got about 6 hours of sleep. They got done but in the end I was pooped!!!
Now I don't take last minute orders unless I know for a fact I have time. I also charge a small "inconvienence" fee.

To quote my mother....."Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!!"

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 34

I had to put on my facebook that I wasn't doing anymore cakes for now. Everyone knows where they can get a free cake, ya know. They STILL ask me for one usually on a Tues or Wed for that weekend. I finally said, NO! myself. So here is my virtual High Five! Feels good, doesn't it!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #20 of 34

HOORAY! to all of you growing a cake (back)bone!!!!!

Way to go! We're all so proud of you!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm
post #21 of 34

I actually just grew a "cake backbone" myself icon_lol.gif I'm also a hobby baker and it's amazing how in the last few months I've just been flooded with cake requests. I have said yes to almost every single one just because, mostly I'm flattered that they actually like my cakes enough to ask. But I've decided, much to my husband's delight, to take the summer off. Because I too have a full time job and a LOT going on this summer. Just when I decided this I got this email.

Hello, I retrieved your email from ________. I saw the cake you made for her a couple weeks ago for her daughter's birthday.

My little girl is having her 1st birthday party and would like to find out more information about what you charge, what types of cakes you make and if you are available to possibly make some cakes?

If you can send me more information that would be great.

So sadly I said sorry but I don't have the time. And I'm so happy I did. I'm just hoping when summer is over, I'll come across some more projects to do. Because I'm sure by then I'll be going through cake making withdrawals icon_biggrin.gif

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:13pm
post #22 of 34

Hooray for you! I like that quote Christy0722, I might have to borrow it from your mother! LOL

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 34

I once said, "no" to a lady three different times (3 different occasions). Finally on her fourth try I was available and humbled (meaning me) she uses me a lot now.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm
post #24 of 34

Good for you.
I am a hobby baker and now I feel like I can say no when our friends ask me "can you bake a very simple(!!!) cake and bring it to the party tomorrow?"

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #25 of 34

okay, here is my story...... i get a call last nite from my SIL, she says that a friend of hers bought a decorated cake from costco, and also an undecorated one, she wanted to know if i would ice on musical notes on the plain cake.... sounds simple right? when i told her to bring the cake over and i would do it, she asked, won't you just come over here and do it? okay, so i am being asked to decorate a cake, drive an hour round trip, and do it as a favor to my SIL for her friend , who i have never met.... i told her i was not able to do it 'time -wise', and she should ask costco to add the musical notes,, she said costco said no.... 'i'll just tell her to take it to a grocery store, maybe they have time'... yeah, good luck with that....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Good for you.
I am a hobby baker and now I feel like I can say no when our friends ask me "can you bake a very simple(!!!) cake and bring it to the party tomorrow?"

"Sure!! If all you want is a "simple" cake by tomorrow, I can whip up a Betty Crocker cake and ice it while it's still in the pan ... one can of Betty Crocker icing should do it!" icon_twisted.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #27 of 34

Congratulations on taking care of you!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:24pm
post #28 of 34

A day later and I'm still laughing over the "thumping big truck" line icon_lol.gif

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #29 of 34

"We don't need anything real big" is code for "I want to spend next to nothing for the cake."

Minette

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #30 of 34

We are newbies in the cake business and just learned a tough lesson about saying no. A customer called on Tuesday and needed a cake on Friday for a shower. We said yes, even though we are busy this week, becuase we are nervous to turn down business. Her daughter called and canceled the cake late last night. Ugh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%