Victoria Sponge Or Maderia

Baking By Sarah1986 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 9:13am by julz7756

Sarah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1986 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:02am
post #1 of 4

Hi

Question for you, when someone says they want a sponge cake making and deocrating, what do you make, victoria sponge or maderia?

If so then what recipe do you use? I am trying to master the perfect sponge to use on for my cakes but so far not had much success, does anyone have any secrets to a perfect tasting sponge cake?

Thanks, Sarah

3 replies
HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:24am
post #2 of 4

Hi,
I decorate in fondant so I use Madeira cake. I find the denser texture really holds up to the weight etc. I can carve it without problems ( other than myself) and eveyone who has had it loves it so I'm not fixing something that aint broke! I don't know if it depends on what part of the world you are in as to what people expect but I think all the birthday cakes etc I've had have been madeira cake. I'm in the uk so that might be different to the US. Hope you get the answers you want.
Hanx

Sarah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1986 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:58am
post #3 of 4

Hiya thanks for the reply

I am also in the UK in Staffordshire, do you have a copy of your maderia cake receipe or is it top secret? hehe

Thanks, Sarah

julz7756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julz7756 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:13am
post #4 of 4

hi

madeira cake is the best to make, especially if you are making a novelty cake. Ive added a link below which has a recipe in it as well as lots of helpful tips to make sure it turns out great. its alot of reading but its worth it.

[/url]http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/Blog/2009/12/17/baking-the-perfect-madeira-cake/

hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%