My 1St Unfinished Cake Experience I Need Some Help Please

Decorating By jodineelsen Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm by Ren715

jodineelsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodineelsen Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 4

Well the first thing I have learned is to have everything you need made in advance....

I have my cakes baked and wrapped and in fridge...I made some buttercream.. and it was totally fantastic...I know this because my daughter wanted cupcakes really bad (she is pregnant) and used my buttercream....

I have fondant made in a few colors #1 is the chocolate , white....pink blue purple green and I made yellow but went to joanns and bought gum-tex to experiment with gumpaste and mixed it with the yellow it is on my counter doing the rest thing I saw posted somewhere that it is best after a few days of rest...(aren't we all)....

now I have a few questions ...mostly because its my first batch of this stuff and I spent alot of money and don't think it has turned out right......
and before i kill myself trying to roll it out I need to ask....

the chocolate....should it be soo stiff...there is no possible way it is going to roll out is this because the chocolate has hardened?..I am guessing a little heat to it will help because it was very managable when it was still a little hot....but how do I heat it up dont want it to get cooked in microwave

fondant= I am noticing that my fondant when rolled out cracks a little my guess on this is I put in too much powdered sugar...so to remedy this do I use water or crisco..
was I supposed to use crisco in it?

and I looked up a gumpaste recipe...using gum tex because it was the only thing i could find locally at joanns...it said to add 1 tsp gum tex to 12 oz fondant......but then everywhere else I looked said with gum tex you need glucose....so now I have made my gumpaste with just the gumtex mixed in fondant.....is it going to work or not?

I shoulda took the dang classes first I know ..........or at least bought premade so that I know what its supposed to be like
all of your help in this will be greatly appreciated.......maybe I will have a cake to take pics of tonight if my fixes to my fondants are easy peasy...........thanks Jodi

3 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 4

I'm a little confused. Did you mix gum-tex into your fondant? You don't put gum-tex or gumpaste in fondant that you're using to cover a cake. I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you're saying.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 4

Gum tex does not work to mix into fondant and make it harden for decorations...tylose will do that, if that is what you are referring to.

If you run into huge problems with your fondant you could always go get some at the craft store last minute....

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 4

fondant= I am noticing that my fondant when rolled out cracks a little my guess on this is I put in too much powdered sugar...so to remedy this do I use water or crisco.. was I supposed to use crisco in it?

Use Crisco. NEVER mix water in your fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%