Are Cell Buds Edible??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm by CookieMeister

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 7

I was watching on Cake Boss last night on the Season premiere of the summer and Mauro was making beautiful red roses for his competition cake and they start with cell buds on wire and use 5 petal leaves...If the petals alone are edible are the cell buds too? Did the assistants just make fondant buds instead?

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 7

The cell buds are made from styrofoam so I guess not edible. You can of course make you own from gumpaste. To attach the wire quickly, stick the bent edge into the flame of a candle to heat and then stick into the gumpaste. It makes the bud imediately usable. Much quicker than waiting for the gumglue to set.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 7

Ewww...styrofoam? Nope, my buds are fondant/tylose or gumpaste. I can't imagine using styrofoam.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks guys..I appreciate the rsponse and tip to heat the wire. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 7

No, the styro cel buds obviously aren't edible, but technically, a flower put on a wire is never considered edible, anyway, and shouldn't be presented to someone as an edible, in any case.

The stryo cel buds are very useful because they are immediately ready for use, consistent in size, and more lightweight than fondant. They definitely have their place--particularly in large arrangements--because they're so light.

I also have molded pre-wired buds made of cotton. They're really handy and lightweight.

If I want a rose to be truly edible, I make my centers out of gum drops and stick them on bucatini pasta, or nothing if that will work for the design.

Rae

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

Rae, gum drops is a great idea! Never thought of that! Thanks

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

No, the styro cel buds obviously aren't edible, but technically, a flower put on a wire is never considered edible, anyway, and shouldn't be presented to someone as an edible, in any case.

The stryo cel buds are very useful because they are immediately ready for use, consistent in size, and more lightweight than fondant. They definitely have their place--particularly in large arrangements--because they're so light.

I also have molded pre-wired buds made of cotton. They're really handy and lightweight.

If I want a rose to be truly edible, I make my centers out of gum drops and stick them on bucatini pasta, or nothing if that will work for the design.

Rae

I've also used Dum Dum suckers, but it's best if you can find the ones with the plastic, straw like sticks in them versus the cardboard sticks. Works a lot better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%