Tonedna Video Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 8:53am by mamawrobin

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:15am
post #1 of 4

I was watching her video on how she stacks her cakes and it says to make a circle 1/4 inch below the frosting level in the center that size of the cake. Do many of you do this? I have always measured and cut each one separately to the height of the frosting. I am always willing to try something new. I now use stress free supports because there is no cutting or having to use a center dowel. But on cakes I don't want to worry about getting my supports back I think this would be great. As for the paper towel smoothing I always have to wait until the frosting crusts to do this. It looks like she doesn't have to wait. Also I noticed she always wears gloves. Are there specific brands or types for working with food. I would be afraid of using anything with Latex because some people are allergic. TIA.

3 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:35am
post #2 of 4

I use milkshake straws instead of dowels. Most people use bubble tea straws but I can't get them locally and the milkshake straws (look like McDonald's straws) work fine for me. I prefer straws because they're easier to cut than wooden dowels and they fill up with cake unlike wooden dowels that displace cake.

I cut mine level with my icing or fondant or a "hair" above. I certainly wouldn't cut them lower because the "resting" tier will sink into the tier underneath.

I use the Viva method as well. I don't know what bc recipe you use, I use Indydebi's, but mine crust within minutes. Yes you have to wait for it to crust before using the Viva but like I said mine only takes minutes to crust.
Edna wears gloves because it's a personal preference. I read a post that she made once saying she wears them because she can't stand the feel of bc on her hands. icon_lol.gif I remember this because I wear them for the same reason. I cannnot stand for my hands to feel sticky.

Anyway I hope I've helped answer your questions. thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:37am
post #3 of 4

Where can I find the butter cream recipe you use. Mine takes ten to fifteen minutes to crust.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:53am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Where can I find the butter cream recipe you use. Mine takes ten to fifteen minutes to crust.

Wow! 10 to 15 minutes?

You can find Indydebi's recipe here on cc in the "most saved" recipes. I haven't used another bc recipe since I started making hers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%