How Long Do You Beat The Cake Batter?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm by KHalstead

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 7

Rather than hijack an existing thread which touches on this, I thought I'd start a new one. I, too, had my last cake sink in the middle. The toothpick had come out clean. How long should you mix the cake batter? I use a Kitchen Aid mixer. When I was younger, I beat my scratch cake batter a long time, but I don't believe this is correct. I am now using the WASC recipe. Please advise. Thank you!!!

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:09am
post #2 of 7

I never use my KA to mix cake batter. I was told a long time ago that it was too powerful and would encourage the development of gluten in the batter.

I have no idea if this is true, but it's a good excuse because I'm too lazy to get it out and then clean it to make cake batter icon_lol.gif

I use a hand mixer that has a digital timer built into it. I hand mix the wet & dry ingredients very gently with a spatula and then use the mixer for 1 minute 45 seconds on medium. For multiple recipes, I've invested in some vey large mixing bowls so that the batter doesn't climb the beaters.

I alway use a greased, inverted flower nail in the center of all cakes over 6" diameter and I bake at 325F degrees.

Knock on wood, I have excellent success this way. If I'm patient and don't check the center of the cake too early in the process, I don't get sinking. If I check too soon, I get sinking due to either the movement of the oven rack or from pressing/puncturing the cake.

HTH
Rae

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:52am
post #3 of 7

With the WASC, I do use my KitchenAid. I use the lowest setting for 30 seconds, scrape the bowl really well, and then give it 1:45 to 2 minutes at the second-lowest setting. My son made one today following that procedure, and it was perfect.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 7

I do use my KA to mix but only till the lumps are out. Too much mixing can bring about either gluey or crumbly results.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 7

Wow, I had no idea..... I have so much to learn..............

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 7

I also use my KA and try not to go over 2 minutes with the WASC cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 7

I mix until everything is incorporated (less than a minute) on a pretty slow speed.........There are still some lumps in it even.......I just grab the rubber spatula and give it a good couple of fast beats by hand (really to make sure the dry ingredients aren't stuck to the bottom) and it breaks up the last bit of lumps and then in the pan it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%