Help With Fondant/gumpaste Roses

Decorating By CakesByCharlene Updated 31 May 2010 , 6:20am by CakesByCharlene

CakesByCharlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 8

hi guys,

im new to this forum so if this is in the wrong spot sorry.

i just purchased a wilton 5 petal stepsaving rose bouquet set, but i havent bought a ball tool yet for smoothing out the edges of the petals. i was just wondering if there is any way i can get a similar effect using something else or will i just have to go buy one. thanks in advance

charlene

7 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #2 of 8

I have used ball shaped swizel sticks as well as ball shaped alcolol bottle stoppers. Look for anything that is ball shape. I really like my 1" diameter bottle stopper. I use it more often than my real ball tool.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 8

a well dusted finger, the back of a spoon (a 1/4 teaspoon is small with a nice bowl to it)...lots of things will work in a pinch.

CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:29am
post #4 of 8

thanks so much girls icon_smile.gif

CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:29am
post #5 of 8

well i had a quick go at starting a rose...this is as far as i got, not bad for a first go.....UNTIL...........

i left it drying on the bench while i attended to my 11month old, came back to it and there was a nibble at one of the petals and a bite taken out of the bottom of it.....

neither my 4yr old or my 2yr old will own up to it hahahah i guess they just love fondant

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:48am
post #6 of 8

*LOL*... I had a similar thing happen when I recieved my new air brush. I was excited to try it out so I drug out a few white roses that I had and air brushed them blood red. Satisfied with my trial run I turned around and began cleaning the airbrush. I looked back over my sholder a few minutes later to discover my 2 year old was munching ever so happily on my roses but the color I had sprayed them made him look like a little cake zombie.... it it wasnt so completly hysterical I would have cried.... I have considered duct taping him down when im in the test kitchen...*LOL*

God bless their little hearts.... they just love what mom does....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:01am
post #7 of 8

I shouldn't tell you this and ruin your fun with your new cake toy...but the Wilton 5 petal rose cutters are a lot more work than the other kinds, because you have to cut between each petal. They don't make very big roses either.

For the ball tool, look in the clay aisle at the craft store. My favorite ball tools are a set of metal ones made by Sculpey Studio.

CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:20am
post #8 of 8

hahaha yer i realise they are alot of work now but i dont really have to make lots in a hurry so cutting them isnt really an issue, i will probably end up buying others later on but as im just starting i got this one because it was fairly cheap and i got an injector cutter thingy with it too...which is more of a pain to try and use...grrr

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%