Finishing A Cake

Decorating By fishabel Updated 31 May 2010 , 10:56am by fishabel

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:26am
post #1 of 5

I was really hoping someone could answer a question for me. I often watch the decorating shows on TV and noticed that when they put fondant on the cake and also cut outs they often leave patches of sugar on the cake . Then I noticed someone spraying something on the cake like to finish it off and even make it shine. Is this some type of sugar coating? Similar to if you used a laquer to finish something off. Is there someone there that could answer this for me. I would much appreciate it. Thanks Louise

4 replies
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure what you mean with leaving patches of sugar on the cake. you mean by accident? And you want to know how to get rid of it? If that is your question, you can try a little alcohol (like vodka).
You can spray your finished cake with luster dust, using a spray can or an airbrush. If you don't have any of those, you can use a larger and softer painting brush or dusting brush. It will give your fondant a shimmery look. HTH

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 5

Not sure of your question but are you referring to Buddy steaming his fondant to set the color and make it shine? It also removes any sugar on the fondant.

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 5

I think you're talking about the powdered sugar that stays on the fondant from rolling it out-this can be cleaned off with a dry brush or clean dry paper towel. As for the lacquer , yes such a product exists in spray can form and can be ordered online from large suppliers - hope this helps you

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:56am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all your replies. I wandered if coming from Australia I'd missed out on knowing about a certain product, which does happen. America does seem to have a much wider range of products than we do.
Some of the replies weren't quite sure on what I meant. I'll try and be clearer. We use powdered or icing sugar to keep our hands dry and that sometimes ends up on the fondant. I do use a dry brush to clean it off but I once saw a TV show use a spray to put a coat over the finished cake and I wandered if this cleaned off or covered up any powder sugar that was left on the cake giving it a shinny look. Thanks again everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%