Looked Great But Taste??

Decorating By cheriej Updated 30 May 2010 , 5:23am by chellescountrycakes

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 14

This is not my disaster but I thought it was a good lesson to put here. A friend of mine attended a formal event for a high level CEO that her husband worked for. This was a catered dinner plus a custom made 5 tiered cake with sugar flowers. My friend told me the cake was supposed to be from a "famous" bakery in the area (cost of the cake was into the thousands of dollars) and that the CEO and his family were so impressed with the cake and the flowers they had pictures of them taken with the cake. Well, after dinner, the cake gets cut and hmmmm, she takes a bite and then said the cake was dry and tasteless. Her husband had a piece from another layer and he wouldn't eat the cake either. The fondant was so terrible that people were pulling it off the cake and asking "what IS this??". She said she looked around the room and NO ONE ate their cake. I may not be the best decorator yet, but everyone loves my cakes and the way they taste. In fact my friend asked me to make her a 3 tier cake for a party of 60 people. And I expect all of it will be eaten. Just a lesson that if you focus all your energy on the decorations and forget that a cake is actually a dessert, well, you probably won't get any more orders. icon_eek.gif

13 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 14

I know what you mean, I attended a wedding, and it was suppose to be from a famous bakery in the city, and it was horrible. I couldn't eat it. It was so dry and floury tasting, i couldn't believe a bakery couldn't perfect a great white cake, but then again, I can't. Tried many scratch recipes, and haven't liked any of them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 14

I'd like to know how all of these "famous" bakeries are staying in business while serving such crappy tasting cakes! icon_confused.gif Why do we try so hard, folks, when evidently the road to success is lined with "make 'em pretty, who cares what they taste like?" icon_eek.gif

My best compliment was from a wedding planner who ended up being a great personal friend. She was clearing tables from one of my weddings and came up and told me, "If I had never had one of your cakes before, I'd KNOW it was good just from clearing table today. I've NEVER cleared tables before and found NO wasted or leftover cake on the plates!"

THAT, my friends, is a great testimonial! thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriej

I may not be the best decorator yet,

First of all, I LOVE how you said "yet"!!!! icon_smile.gif Secondly, I agree that taste of a cake should trump how it looks instead of vice versa.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 14

I made a cake for a co-worker as a favor. The next thing I knew people were asking me to do cakes for all kinds of events. To be honest it was not the best looking cake - but I used one of the chocolate recipes from CC and of course put a little "love" into the baking and presto...YUM!

One girls said that if I made her cake she would cancel her order at the bakery in town. I told her not to cancel (not cool) but to keep me in mind for her next event.

One thing I love to do when I travel is visit bakeries. It is hit or miss. A pet peeve of mine is FREEZER burn ICK!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriej

I may not be the best decorator yet,

First of all, I LOVE how you said "yet"!!!! icon_smile.gif Secondly, I agree that taste of a cake should trump how it looks instead of vice versa.

I agree; after all, a cake IS meant to be eaten, not just looked at. If such were the case, we could all just decorate styrofoam.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 14

This is what I wonder when I watch Cake Boss...they pick those sheets of cake up and when they move them around like they are made of foam--how good do they taste?

Has anyone eaten one of their cakes? Are they as good as their fame makes them seem like they are?

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 14

A gourmet shop here in town sells their cupcakes starting at around $6.50 each. Somehow they have built the reputation as being THE place for cupcakes....they're filled and sure look pretty (so are mine and so do mine!). But EVERYONE I've talked to that has had one (of theirs) says they are dry dry dry! icon_razz.gifthumbsdown.gif Oh well, I'm glad for it because after people have tasted theirs and then taste mine...and see that a cupcake can be pretty AND delicious...I don't have any problem convincing them to order from me. thumbs_up.gificon_cool.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:17am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

One thing I love to do when I travel is visit bakeries. It is hit or miss. A pet peeve of mine is FREEZER burn ICK!

I've shared this story before, but my co-workers bought me a birthday cake because they were shocked I'd never had a cake from "THE" bakery in town. This bakery advertises (last time I looked) that you can order your wedding cake 24 hours before the wedding, and they DON'T freeze their cakes.

That little sheet cake was so frozen we couldn't cut it. My supv took it back and stood there while making them cut the replacement cake so she could see it wasn't frozen. However, when she got back, it had the condensation on the top, so you could tell it had been (my birthday is in the dead of winter, so no blaming it on the outdoor weather!).

I actually had 3-4 poeple standing around my desk waiting for my reaction. I took a bite and said, with a shrug of my shoulders, "Tastes like a standard, regular, I-can-get-this-anywhere bakery cake."

JohnnyCakes, why why why!!!! do people complain that they taste bad but they just keep going back .... just beause people SAY it's the best? Is there a status symbol tho them or something? I never never will udnerstand those who think like this. I see it all the time .... and I just don't get it.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

This is what I wonder when I watch ...they pick those sheets of cake up and when they move them around like they are made of foam--how good do they taste?

Has anyone eaten one of their cakes? Are they as good as their fame makes them seem like they are?

At least they have a decent layer of buttercream in between... Ace of Cakes on the other hand have the merest scraping in between thick layers - I never want to eat a piece of cake after watching that show (and it doesn't normally take much to make me want to eat cake!)

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #11 of 14

Debi, beats the heck outta me?! icon_confused.gif I'm wondering how they got the "best in town" reputation in the first place! Maybe they paid off a restaurant critic to give a great review. tapedshut.gif (I'm only kidding!!! Of COURSE they wouldn't do that!!! icon_wink.gif )

Like you mentioned, I've also eaten "famous" cakes/cupcakes and thought...Eh. People stand in line for THIS?? And I'm not being jealous or anything. I will definitely acknowledge when someone bakes a good cake. In fact, there's another gourmet shop in town that bakes a really delicious vanilla cupcake. I sure wouldn't mind getting my hands on that recipe!! But their chocolate??.....Eh. Not so good.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #12 of 14

One of the things I said when I started taking the Wilton class was that I wanted my cakes and icings to TASTE good as well as look good (someday they will look good). icon_smile.gif There was a bakery in my old town that had some REALLY good lucking cakes and cupcakes but man they weren't good at all!

I don't know how some of these big places stay in business if they aren't good. One day I am going to have to go to Carlo's Bakery and try his stuff.

ninjacaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninjacaker Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:11am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I actually had 3-4 poeple standing around my desk waiting for my reaction. I took a bite and said, with a shrug of my shoulders, "Tastes like a standard, regular, I-can-get-this-anywhere bakery cake."

I guess if anyone would know, you would! You are a master caker!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #14 of 14

I dont get it. I have people ask me to bake them a cake JUST to eat for dessert. honestly. I go out to breakfast with some ladies I've done PTA with for years. we go to a little bed and breakfast in town that makes cakes homemade daily. The girls insist on me being able to bring in a cake every once in a while. and the owner even ate it and LOVED it. wanted the recipe. (uhhh throw in the dry, add eggs, oil and water) - People that cant bake a box cake blow my mind. and I love the people who will say when your not supposed to hear "well, I dont know how she made it, but I KNOW its not box- its not dry...) I've made scratch cakes and have 2 that are big requests, even when folks have to pay for the ingrediants. (the peanut butter one is expensive to make). I even have friends who tellme to just bring them the scraps. LOL on the weeks that I dont do a cake for breakfast, or if they know I am making a cake and meet at the park or whatever, they want the scraps. LOL I had a kid friend me on facebook (kid kid, like 13) just to tell me she LOVED the cake I made. when a kid takes the time to do that, it means alot.

There are 2 women in my town that make custom cakes. Everyone buys from them, because they get a cool cake for their kids party. I've heard both are not good cakes, and the fondant is awful. I'd rather get mine from the grocery store (not walmart) because they DO have good cakes. just boring ones. Thats why I started making my kids cakes- I wanted a good cake, but a cute cake too, and was tired of the decopak crap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%