Indentation In Cake

Decorating By nevalookbck Updated 30 May 2010 , 3:26pm by lizabu

nevalookbck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nevalookbck Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 6

okay so i'm trying to make a cake like the soap bar from the movie "fight club" well i'm trying to figure out how to do an indention for the writing like the soap usually is

http://www.illinoisfamily.org/content/img/f33217/DoveSoap.jpg

something like that

any suggestions?

5 replies
Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 6

I think you might have to carve it into the cake. I would do a stencil first and transfer to the surface then carve it.

DianaJJ

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 6

I might be tempted to try making my fondant thick on the top, then using a tool of some sort (don't know if there are v-shaped cake tools--sterilized woodworking tool maybe?) to carve in the letters. Using a stencil is a good idea if you don't think you could eyeball it. Does this make sense?

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 6

I looked at google images, and to me, it doesn't look like the words are indented at all. It looks like they actually stick out from the bar of soap.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 6

I agree that the letters are actually raised rather than indented. I would roll my fondant rather thick and cut the letters from that. I might also do a little shading around my letters so they really stand out from the base.

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 6

Another idea if you want the indented look is to use 2 layers of fondant. Cut the letters out of the top layer of fondant and spread over the 1st layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%