Leaning Cake.....to Fix Or Not To Fix???help!!

Decorating By Yum2010 Updated 28 May 2010 , 2:11pm by all4cake

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so I just finished a beach themed bridal shower cake for this weekend. Everything was fine when I went to bed last night, I did notice a slight lean to the top teir last night....But when I woke up this morning and checked on the cake it looked a little worse.

I've asked the opinitions of my family and they said they did notice the lean but it wasn't bad and just to leave it alone. I don't know what to do because if i disassemble it and ruin it even more, there is no time to start over or do any major reconstruction!

The lean is not noticable at all from the front view but it is from the side. This is for a paying customer.......Advice please!!! (Sorry, wish I could post a pic....don't have one yet, I know would help.)

All of my previous experiences with disassembling due to leaning have ended up in disaster (major reconstruction or starting over---that's the only reason why i'm hesitant) icon_cry.gif

5 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 6

I would say bite the bullet and disassemble, fix and reassemble. If it works, great! It it doesn't, no major harm done...you might be refunding the monies if it collapses on the customer after it's picked up anyway. If it is too terrible to sell, you can call and say it hit the floor...

has it been paid for already? (I have a less hard time 'biting the bullet' when it hasn't been paid for yet....I get more of an "if it works, it works...if it doesn't, it doesn't" attitude which, for me, is a really good thing)

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

Take a long wooden (sharpened) dowel (food safe) and slowly insert into the top tier (off set the dowel to one side by an inch or so) and moving at an angle slowly insert all the way down while gently pushing the cake into an upright position. You will have to poke the dowel into your cake rounds gently and "pull" cake into shape, think fulcrum theory). When you get to the cake drum finish pushing the cake upright and hammer that dowel into the drum. You will most likely have quite a bit of repair to do. I cannot guarantee this will work, but my engineer hubs swears it will. In the future don't stack that style until you get it to the venue.

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, I think I will just bite the bullet.. I def need to check my supports in the cake, bc your right, it might end up in a total refund anyway...Sheesh!! It's these kind of things that make me a wreck! I've been on a loosing streak lately and it needs to stop.......I'm gonna blame the high humidity (from south louisiana). It's been a freaking mess! At least it's not the wedding cake!

all4cake Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 6

ooooooooooooor...add some decorations to offset the leaning appearance of the cake...let the customer pick it up and claim you have no clue why it would've collapsed..."did you turn the corner too fast????"

all4cake Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 6

A few heavy pants and one big lip flubbing blow outward (think preparing to deadlift 500 lbs)...shake your head all around, kick your legs and wiggle your feet...shake your arms and big clap of the hands (think heading into the ring to box with sugar ray leonard)...then, get in there and git 'r' done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%