Fading Mmf Color - Anyone Else?

Baking By MaryS15 Updated 31 May 2010 , 1:28am by MaryS15

MaryS15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryS15 Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 6

I LOVE the posted MMF recipe using the Kitchen Aid mixer; taste is fabulous and I have gotten other requests after serving this. Color Issues: I added my color to the mixer for a whole batch of bright pink. While double-saran-wrapped and resting onite at rm temp, the color faded on the top of the batch and almost looked like it settled! I re-kneaded and color blended well, covered cake and stored O/N in refrig, color was fine. BUT when I put it in a box to drive 50 mins to my nieces party, the color faded slightly again on the top. Any suggestions?

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 6

Pink and red will do that. I forget the exact details, something about the red dye that doesn't fade causing too many allergies, so it was banned in the 70's, and now the red food colors that we have are sensitive to light and prone to fading.

Sometimes purple and black will fade too...black turns green sometimes because the red part fades out.

Painted fondant doesn't fade the way that colored fondant does, even though there are plenty of times where painted fondant isn't practical.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 6

One of the best investments you'll ever make is Chef Master No Fade Pink and Purple.

They really do hold up when exposed to light.

HTH
Rae

MaryS15 Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 6

Thank You Texas and Blake! I will try the Chef Master brand - thanks again!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 6

Someone said that sunlight and other lights change the colors of cakes. This happen to me with a pink bow.

MaryS15 Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6

Thank You, I noticed the fading in the sunlight (through uv protective curtains) and I am keeping my leftovers in plastic, then ziploc bag, and foil on the outside to keep out any ore light!
Not taking any more chances. Need to try the ChefMaster colors, too. Thanks Again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%