Wedding Cake Help!

Baking By Megabot Updated 28 May 2010 , 2:28pm by Megabot

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a three tier wedding cake next weekend, the bride (my cousin) has requested that the tiers be chocolate with chocolate mousse and vanilla with strawberry filling.

Any great recipes would be appreciated. Also do both of these need to be refrigerated the whole time?

I was planning on baking/frosting/stacking on thursday and decorating with fondant friday with delivery and the event on saturday night...ideas?

6 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 7

I think your baking/frosting/stacking schedule is perfect. I personally like the WASC variations on cakes, if you have not tested and tried several scratch recipes before now. For the chocolate, i would use Dark Chocolate Fudge Duncan Hines and replace the water with coffee. For the vanilla, i would use Duncan Hines French Vanilla (or White) cake. I always use a thin layer of Strawberry preserves or All Fruit for the filling. You could mix that with your buttercream, also. A mousse filling probably will need to be refrigerated as long as possible. a good fake mousse filling is a small box of instant pudding, 16 oz sour cream and 1 tub of Cool Whip, beaten together. it's pretty stiff and sturdy and tastes great. I wouldn't put it between the layers too heavily, so that it doesn't slip.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 7

I too like to use jam or preserves mixed with my BC for filling. Just buy seedless strawberry!! icon_biggrin.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 7

I am making a three tiered wedding cake for my brother the same day. I always use Betty Crocker brand cake mixes as my customers like a nice moist cake. I have tried other recipes of add ingredients such as flour, sugar, etc. and didn't care for the texture as much. For my mousse I use one pint whipping cream and one small box of vanilla or chocolate fudge instant pudding. Whip until peaks form. I get so many compliments on these fillings. Another plus is they are so easy to make. I do refrigerate my cakes because it helps make them more stable for delivery. I have left my cakes out for over five hours during and event and never had any problems. I think chilling them before hand really helps. My brother wants white cake with fresh strawberries so I plan on placing a layer of vanilla mousse under the strawberries. If I have a request for a strawberry gel filling I purchase it at my local cake store. You could also fold fresh sliced berries in the gel filling if you wanted to.

jayarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayarr Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:43am
post #5 of 7

Me too likes jam . I my self is planning to make one for my brothers wedding too .. I found great idea on this post ! thanks for the great share !

Megabot Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you soo much for your responses! I have used the WASC several times and after all the info I have gotten I'll prob use WASC with a vanilla mix and sub the Almond extract with vanilla, then use strawberry preserves and buttercream. The biggest help you gave I think was with the mousse, I couldn't figure out how I would refridgerate for all of that time plus I heard a lot of bad "setting-up" questions and didn't want to deal with an unstable cake. Thanks!!

Megabot Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 7

Dumb questions...should I use the "mousse" to frost the cake too? If no what should I use??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%