Buttercream Dried A Totally Different Color!!!!!!!

Decorating By BitofWhimsyCakes Updated 28 May 2010 , 9:34pm by BitofWhimsyCakes

BitofWhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitofWhimsyCakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 6

This my first time posting here in the forums, and I'm posting a disaster! So not good.

I had a wedding this past weekend and the bride chose a cake with a creamy pale yellow buttercream & fondant swags. I made all of the buttercream ahead of time & then colored it in my mixer so that the color would evenly distribute. She wanted the color to be more of a cream/ivory and less yellow, so I started with adding just ivory. Then to brighten it, I added the tiniest drop of yellow. I know yellow can be very overpowering, so I was very careful not to use much. The icing color looked perfect when I put it on the cakes. But as they dried, they just got darker and darker. By the time I delivered them, they were at least 3 shades darker and more yellow than they should have been. icon_sad.gif

Does anyone know what would cause them to dry so much darker? I've done colored buttercream on other cakes before & never had this happen. And I felt especially bad since it was someone's wedding cake! I even offered them a partial refund because I thought it looked so bad. Any advice would be much appreciated.

5 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #2 of 6

Hello neighbor and welcome to cake central you will love it here. I say neighbor because I live in Estill County, and work in Richmond. I have probably seen you around the cake decorating aisles of Hobby Lobby. wally world etc.. my haunts..LOL You will love this site. But be warned.. IT IS ADDICTIVE !!!!

to answer your question... how long did you let the buttercream rest? I always make my icing one week in advance, then color one day prior to using. Because in my experience the longer the color rests, the darker, more intense it gets, (as long as it is out of sunlight).

You could have done without the yellow totally. The cake would have taken on a more ivory tone with each day that it set. HTH's

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #3 of 6

I agree with tesso. Only I don't wait a week. I just make the BC a day ahead. But do remember, the BC does get darker as it sets.

Sandy

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:05am
post #4 of 6

Welcome!!!

I totally agree, probably didn't need the yellow at all. When I need ivory, I use real vanilla, not clear, and I get the perfect shade of ivory. I let my bc rest a couple of days.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:13am
post #5 of 6

Hello from another Kentuckian! Welcome to CC.
I try to go a little lighter than what I want the finished color to be. This bit me in the behind when my granddaughter's cake was too pale!! Oh, well, it tasted great.

BitofWhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitofWhimsyCakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I generally make my bc a couple of days ahead of time. Next time I need a colored wedding cake, I will definitely do a test cake! Another thought I had was that instead of using butter, I could have used butter-flavored Crisco & it would have been the perfect color. I guess hindsight really is 20/20! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%