Coloring Buttercream

Decorating By nielsen4897 Updated 27 May 2010 , 8:22am by sweettreat101

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:24am
post #1 of 4

If I want 4 stacked tiers to be the exact same color buttercream, yet can't make one huge batch (only have a 5 quart KA mixer), how do you ensure all colors are the same?

I know the logical answer is 'measure it' but 1/8 of a teaspoon seems like alot for a batch and that is my smallest measurement.

I am using Wilton food coloring paste gel

Thanks!

3 replies
bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #2 of 4

Mix each batch separately, then put them all in one really big bowl. Then just stir that together by hand. If you don't have a big enough bowl, take equal amounts of each and mix those by hand. Then keep repeating.

HTH!!!

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 4

smart thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:22am
post #4 of 4

I had this problem with the star cake I made. All together it was seven tiers of whipped frosting. I went to Target and bought an extra large bowl with a snap on lid. I believe it was made by rubbermaid. I poured all of the carton of Frostin Pride in the bowl and mixed in the gel coloring. This way I could mix one batch at a time and everything would be the same color. The one thing I don't like about whipped frostings is the more you mix or work with it it starts to stiffen up. This is why I rather do each batch separately. I agree make all your batches of frosting and mix in one large bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%