Baking In A Pyrex Measuring Cup?

Decorating By KrissieCakes Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:44am by KrissieCakes

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone ever done this? I have baked in my Pampered Chef glass bowls before, but I have never baked in a Pyrex measuring cup. It seems like it wouldn't be any different, just a shorter baking time, right? I am planning on using the 2 cup measuring cup. Seems like the perfect size for a little bee hive smash cake that I have pictured in my head.

Any better ideas? Or will this be ok? I don't want any exploding glass or anything today! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 9

I would do a little research first and find out if it's tempered glass.........chances are it is....but it's always best to find out before you have glass and cake exploding in your oven!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 9

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DE9B8/?tag=cakecentral-20

is this the one you have?? This one (if you scroll down on the page) says it's oven safe!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 9

I have several pyrex glass baking dishes and love them. The measuring cup should be OK to bake in provided it does not have ANY scratches on it. As I understand it, there is a protective coating on pyrex that allows it to go from hot to cold so quickly. If it is scratched, a weak point is created and the bowl will crack more easily. I have had that happen with a casserole dish that previously had something cut with a steak knife in it. I like your idea - Sounds cute!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the info on the scratches!! I have a few bowls that are pyrex that I cook with. and lots of casarole dishes. I'm pretty sure each and every one has a scratch or 12, they were my grandmothers before I got them.

KrissieCakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the replies! My measuring cup is similar to the one in the link, but not exact. It is more tapered and only 2 cup.

It's pretty new, so no scratches at the moment. Gonna go search online to see if I can find the exact one (and look at the darn thing) to see if it says it is tempered glass.

Thanks so much!

KrissieCakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 9

Well that took all but 2 seconds! Found the exact cup on the Pyrex website. Says it is oven safe!

Now let's see if it looks anything like a beehive when I'm done!

Bake on!

icon_smile.gif

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 9

Pyrex is generally oven safe, but I do have friends whose Pyrex casserole dishes have exploded in the oven! And that is a huge mess to deal with -- the stuff splinters into very sharp, hard-to-see shards. I think the key is that you can't put it directly from the fridge into the oven, nor do you want to put frozen or very cold foods into the dish and then put it in the oven. Start with everything at room temperature.

It does seem like the perfect shape and size for a beehive smash cake. icon_smile.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #9 of 9

It actually came out great! It browned a bit much for my taste on the sides, but not horrible. I don't think the birthday boy will complain! icon_smile.gif I think he'll be more interested in the gobs of icing that will be on it!

Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%