Help Me Decide What Size Cake We Need

Decorating By e2_erin Updated 27 May 2010 , 3:34am by e2_erin

e2_erin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
e2_erin Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #1 of 5

Im making a cake for my son's 4th bday party. I really want to try a topsy turvy cake but only 2 layers and then some decoration on the top.
We will probably have about 50 people (half will be small children so not huge serving sizes). I dont want a massive cake but I want there to be enough cake.

From what I can tell most topsy turvy cakes each layer would be comprised of 3 2" layers. So I was thinking the bottom layer would be either 8" or 10" and the second layer would be 6" or 8" and then I'll try to make the top decoration 2" smaller than that layer.

Would (3) 8x2" and (3) 6x2" be a good amount or would we need more?

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #2 of 5

A 6" & 8" would be more than enough for wedding cake servings, but you'll probably have a hard time carving out the hole for the 6" to set down into with only 2" difference in diameter (if you're doing the carve out method). If you aren't having additional food, just cake, and you'd like larger party cake servings, I'd suggest making a 6" with a 10" in case those adults are really hungry... and it wouldn't hurt to have leftovers!

e2_erin Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 5

ok i thought the cakes were supposed to be 2" smaller as you go up? I was planning to do the tapered cakes too so the top layer would be 6" and then taper down to 5" and then the bottom layer would be 8" and taper down to 7"
is this a bad plan?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2_erin

Would (3) 8x2" and (3) 6x2" be a good amount or would we need more?

No, it's not a bad plan... it's better! If you did the above, you'd only have 1" of cake on both sides (or all the way around) the 6". Since you're tapering the bottom layer to 5", you'll have 1.5" of cake all the way around when you sink it down into the 8". If you'd like or need more decorating space on the ledge than that, you might consider stacking it onto a 10". (that would give you 2.5" on each side.)

e2_erin Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:34am
post #5 of 5

thanks for the help!
I ended up getting a 10" and 8" round pan at the store today. When I went to look the smaller pans just seems really small. If I need more space I should be able to just trim it more I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%