Need A Nofail Cream Cheese Buttercream Recipe

Baking By ChristysCakes88 Updated 25 May 2010 , 7:21pm by floral1210

ChristysCakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristysCakes88 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

I have a few recipes but they all seem to be a little bit different. I usually buy premade buttercream but I want to start making my own. Was hoping that some experts wouldn't mind sharing their no-fail cream cheese buttercream recipes??? TIA

4 replies
floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 5

Just "created" one last week that is the best I have ever used. It is pictured on my "birder's cake". It was easy to work with and smooth. It is actually a variation on the Extra Special Buttercream Recipe on here

1 stick butter
1 cup shortening
4 oz. cream cheese

Cream these together for about 5 minutes until very creamy.

Add 2 lbs. Powdered sugar
1 T meringue powder
1/4 t salt
4 T heavy cream

beat until smooth

Add flavorings (1 teaspoon total of any combo of flavorings. I used butter and vanilla) and additional heavy cream if needed for texture. Whip until fluffy and usable for the task, whether frosting or actually piping and decorating.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 5

hi, people are adding shortening to make cream cheese more stable. earlene moore has a recipe on her site. edna(c/cer) has recipe on her site. designmeacake.com. And there are several on this site. So try them. and see which one you like. It is not a true cream cheese icing when you add the shortening, but it is still good. True cream cheese has the twang in it that we like. But again, the other version is also good.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 5

I also need a reliable cream cheese recipe!

What does the meringue powder do? Stabilize?

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 5

It stabilizes and, I think, helps it to crust a bit. It's perfect for decorating that way. If you want it for straight frosting, you can leave it out .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%