Unsure Prospective Client...

Decorating By jfroman Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:16pm by jamiekwebb

jfroman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfroman Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 10

Mother of groom called thinking of ordering a 3 tier styrofoam cake for display and serving sheet cakes from the kitchen. I have never done a cake dummy...although i have been meaning to for my portfolio. So I have no idea what I would even charge for something like that...any ideas?? Also, I'm stil not really sure what I should be charging for sheet cakes. My normal buttercream prices are $3.00 p/serving and $3.50 for fondant, so if you have any advise/opinions I would really appreciate them!

Also, from what I have read about using cake dummies instead of real cake-there isnt a real significant price difference since most of the time spent on a cake lies in the icing/decoratiing. So I told her that she might not find it to be much of a difference, but I would also ask around and see what prices i come up with that are fair.
Thanks for any imput!

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 10

It sounds like she thinks she is going to get a cheaper deal on the dummy cake and sheet cakes. Sorry woman, that is the same amount of work, if not more.

I'd give her the price of a three tiered cake as well the price for a dummy cake and sheet cakes, which the dummy cake wouldn't be that much less than the regular cake, because while the inside is fake, the rest of it is still real icing/fondant and still takes times to put it on. Then you have the added servings for the kitchen cakes (I wouldn't do offer sheet cakes, I'd do a two layer kitchen cake, so that when served they aren't getting a 2x2x2 slice but instead a 1x2x4 slice of cake.

Make her see that kitchen cakes are only an added benefit if you need more servings that your cake will yeild, not a cheaper alturnative.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 10

send her to my blog, where I "do the math" for her:

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/fake%20cake

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 10

She's basically asking you to bake the same amount of cake servings as the tiered cake would be (not a savings in cost), then decorate the tiered dummies the way the real cake would be decorated (not a savings on cost, plus the cost of the styrofoam), PLUS ice the sheets (extra work and cost of ingredients).

This is someone who has read too many wedding magazines and believes the stupid articles written by someone who has never made a cake in their lives.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 10

What if you said sure, but....
1) I get to choose the design, colors, sizes, etc
2) I get the cake back afterwards
3) There is a fee for the rental and a security deposit incase it needs to be repaired when returned

This way you could make the dummy you wanted...with an investor to cover some of its cost. There are companies that make good money doing retal dummies.

Just a thought...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

3) There is a fee for the rental and a security deposit incase it needs to be repaired when returned

This way you could make the dummy you wanted...with an investor to cover some of its cost. There are companies that make good money doing retal dummies.

Just a thought...

I bet that the bride would want to dictate what the cake would look like, though. Unless you got another client who was willing to use the exact same cake design, and who also wanted it in dummy form, it would just end up being something that you have to store and would likely never use again. You could always use it for a bridal show, but I don't think it would be worth the trouble negotiating with her about it.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #8 of 10

I charge 80% of regular cake price for dummies. A dummy and kitchen cakes is going to cost a lot more than just ordering the tiered cake.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:57am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

Just a thought...

I bet that the bride would want to dictate what the cake would look like, though. Unless you got another client who was willing to use the exact same cake design, and who also wanted it in dummy form, it would just end up being something that you have to store and would likely never use again. You could always use it for a bridal show, but I don't think it would be worth the trouble negotiating with her about it.

I completely agree with you! I was just suggesting it because OP had mentioned that she had wanted to make a dummy cake for her portfolio. If the bride really wants to take this route, maybe she would be game.

I'm making a dummy for a Luau party I'm throwing this summer just so that I can do it up ahead of time as a centerpiece without having one more thing to do the week of the party. I will likely throw it out afterwards instead of trying to store it...so I certainly understand your point!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 10

Just a question but what will they do when they want to cut the cake and feed it to each other? You can't do that with a dummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%