I Killed It.. Yet Again.

Baking By noahsmummy Updated 24 May 2010 , 4:52pm by luddroth

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 4

ahhhhh i just tried yet another modeling paste recipe. i seem to be able to make anything else fondant, cakes filling, icing, no probs.. but sugar paste.. it hates me.

attempted the recipe on the side of the wilton gum-tex can today. epic fail. it just crumbles in my hand. i dont know if this is maybe because the glycose here is very thick? like incredibly cant get it off the spoon thick? does anyone else know what may have happened? or have a fail proof recipe? im going to rip my hair out.. lol. mmf just isnt holding up for figures, it goes all sticky after a few days...

3 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 4

I have found the easiest thing to do is to add tylose to commercial fondant. I don't know whether it would make your mmf more suitable for figure modelling, but I don't know why not. You can buy tylose on-line or at cake decorating shops. It makes fondant dry quickly and to a much harder consistency.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 4

is gum tex the same thing? im thinking of making up a batch of michelle fosters fondant and having a go with that, its very difficult to get supplies here, ready made fondant included so i usually make verything from scratch.

i went for an adeventure to a cake supply shop today and all they had was the wilton gum tec, ive tried cmc before as well, but it gives me the sticky result as well.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 4

I'm looking at my bottle of Tylose and it says that its ingredients are CMC and dextrin. I think Gum Tex is gum tragacanth. I've never tried it. I wonder if you're using enough? My "bible" for this stuff is Toba Garrett's book, The Well-Decorated Cake. She adds 1 and 1/2 tsp Tylose to 1 pound of commercial fondant, but 2 tsps of Tylose to 1 pound of homemade fondant (plus a dab of shortening to the palms of your hands to keep it from sticking to your hands as you work it). Maybe adding more of the gum tec or cmc would do the trick? As you work with the resulting gumpaste, you can use cornstarch to keep it from sticking to cutters and your work surface. I find that the cornstarch also causes it to dry out more quickly. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%