Fondant Help!

Baking By CassCakes81 Updated 24 May 2010 , 8:06pm by deescuppycakes

CassCakes81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassCakes81 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 7

I have made marshmallow & buttercreme findant, but each time I make it it breaks when I try to put it on the cake. It also doesnt smooth out when I use the smoothing paddle.
I'm a beginner, I love to do this, but I have been so discouraged.
Any tips?
Thank You!

6 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 7

Might just be me, but I've never heard of putting buttercream in fondant. Did you try rubbing crisco in ?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 7

What recipe did you use? I've never heard of marshmallow/buttercream fondant either. Would you mind posting the recipe? of just the ingredients used in the recipe?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 7

Just a guess, but i'm assuming she has made Marshmallow Fondant and Buttercreme fondant (or rolled buttercreme maybe?)

My first question is have you ever used a store brand of fondant? I tried making MMF a few times and then purchased some and realized that I had been adding too much PS to the fondant and it was to dry so it wasn't stretching like it was supposed to. Once I knew what fondant was supposed to feel like it made it a lot easier.

As for not smoothing out, what are you putting on your cake underneath the fondant? I use buttercream, others use jam, or ganache. If you are laying the fondant over a bumpy surface it is going to look bumpy too, you need a smooth surface underneath to start with. (or something that can be smoothed like buttercream)

For the buttercreme fondant, I am assuming you're talking about rolled buttercreme? I remember making some of this a long time ago, but don't remember much about it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #5 of 7

I agree with leily that you should buy some store bought fondant and see what it is suppose to feel like and what the texture should be it's alot easier to make it. Sometimes you have to add more powdered sugar than what your recipe calls for and sometimes you have to add less.

Personally, I've NEVER had good results with marshmallow fondant. I've made it several times and I just haven't been able to make it work for me. I make Michele Foster's Fondant and I love that stuff. It's not that much more time consuming to make than MMF and in my opinion it's a better fondant.

Good luck and don't give up. You may have to make fondant a few times to "get it right".

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 7

I had a problem with MMF too. It is not nearly as pliable as store bought fondant. This is my trick for making mmf work for me. I went to Jo-anns and got clear vinyl like to cover table cloths, roll it out on that and pick that up and put it on the cake then peel off the vinyl. I have found it supports it better and I have A LOT less tears. Hope it helps

deescuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deescuppycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 7

Most the time i use mm fondant (never heard of buttercream fondant) but to make the mm fondant smoother and pliable two things. add 1tbs of corn syrp when the mm are melted. then only use sifted powdered sugar. it keeps the lumps out of the fondant. and also you might not be kneading enough sugar or crisco into it. my rule of thumb when kneading mm fondant is when u are kneading and its NOT stikcing to ur palms anymore it good to go. make sure u let it set over night in the fridge. if it seems to be cracking then just knead a lil crisco into it. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%