Need Help With Buttercream

Baking By learningtocakeit Updated 25 May 2010 , 2:41am by leily

learningtocakeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtocakeit Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 14

I am trying to make buttercream flowers(roses), it was a little too soft, so i added maybe 1/4 c, maybe a little less powdered sugar, and this really isn't working either. Can someone PLEASE give me a recipe that works. Also, I'm in the south and with the humidity i know i can use 1-2 Tbsp. of Meringue powder, but that didn't help either.

My recipe for Buttercream is:

2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, softened.
1-1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
2 tbsp. clear vanilla extract
1/3 cup water for icing cake -OR- 1/4 cup for stiff consistency.
1/4 tsp. almond extract

13 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 14

I use Sugarshack's buttercream recipe. You can find it in the recipe section.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:12am
post #3 of 14

So, your icing is still too soft? Keep adding more PS.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:28am
post #4 of 14

I agree with prterrell. If your icing is too soft, add powdered sugar. I use Indydebi's butercream recipe and only use 1 1/3 cup of shortening to 2 pounds of powdered sugar.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 14

it looks to me like your recipe is a soft consistency to start with. A 1/4 cup of liquid sounds like a lot. My recipe i found is best with only 1-2Tbs of liquid. Looks like you need to add more PS.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 14

You're using 2 cups of fat to 2 lbs of p.sugar. Everytime I see someone having a problem with their icing, this is usually the ratio they are using.

Reduce that fat. Also remember that butter has a lower melting point, so with butter in there, even the heat from your hand will make it softer in the decorating bag.

leily Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:03am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You're using 2 cups of fat to 2 lbs of p.sugar. Everytime I see someone having a problem with their icing, this is usually the ratio they are using.

Reduce that fat. Also remember that butter has a lower melting point, so with butter in there, even the heat from your hand will make it softer in the decorating bag.

I use a recipe that calls for 2cups of fat to 2#'s of sugar and it works well, as long as I don't add more than 2Tbs of liquid to it also (depending on time of year and humidity, typically it's only 1Tbs of liquid - in addition to the 2tsp of flavoring)

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #8 of 14

Well darn! I just made this icing hoping it would work for flowers, I'm in the south too and added 2 tbsp of mer. powder. I thought 1/4 cup water sounded like a lot. Oh well...I guess I'll probably be adding more powdered sugar. icon_sad.gif

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #9 of 14

Sharon's (sugarshack) buttercream icing is defiantly a must! I can attest to it holding up in the humidity. I personally prefer half hi ratio half butter and it comes out perfect ever time. All six cakes total this week and last week were delivered in temps that hit 91 degrees in New Orleans and not one issue. Had issues in the past with my recipe for buttercream icing but never since using Sharon's recipe. The humidity here is just too much for just any recipe. This recipe is the reason i still make buttercream during the summer months here!!! hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:

I use the 1:1 ratio. I know you have said this before. I'm curious how many times those that have a problem with the 1:1 ratio also have butter in the recipe. Maybe that is more of the issue than the 1:1 ratio. icon_smile.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 14

I haven't done alot of roses, but my recipe is the same until you get to the liquid components. I use 1/2 Tbsp of clear vanilla, 1 tsp of clear butter extract, and 1/8 tsp butter pecan extract for flavorings then begin adding milk by 1/2 Tbsp until I'm satisfied with the consistancy. Occasionally I get 3 Tbsp in, but usualy 2 or 2-1/2 works for me.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

I use the 1:1 ratio. I know you have said this before. I'm curious how many times those that have a problem with the 1:1 ratio also have butter in the recipe. Maybe that is more of the issue than the 1:1 ratio. icon_smile.gif

I agree with you on this. I actually posted that in another thread using you as an example. It seems that everytime I read a post of someone having trouble with the 1:1 ratio they are using shortening AND butter. Since butter has more liquid than shortening I would almost bet that it's the problem. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you on this. I actually posted that in another thread using you as an example. It seems that everytime I read a post of someone having trouble with the 1:1 ratio they are using shortening AND butter. Since butter has more liquid than shortening I would almost bet that it's the problem. icon_smile.gif

I remember both of you commenting on this .... and I pledged to watch more closely and see if that's a pattern on the 1:1's that are having problems. Between the 3 of us, I'll bet we can figure it out! thumbs_up.gif

leily Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:41am
post #14 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Quote:

I remember both of you commenting on this .... and I pledged to watch more closely and see if that's a pattern on the 1:1's that are having problems. Between the 3 of us, I'll bet we can figure it out! thumbs_up.gif

I find this interesting. I use the 1:1 and my recipe i use 50/50 of butter/shortening. Now I did have to adjust my liquid in my recipe because it was to soft, so i use less than half of what I see most recipes call for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%