Need Help With Cupcakes!

Baking By carmijok Updated 24 May 2010 , 4:10pm by CookieMakinMomma

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 11

I have to make cupcakes for a professional sorority in a couple of weeks. I really don't have a whole lot of experience with them so I made a batch the other day and I think they are too small! I didn't ice them yet...just froze them. I'm not using these I just wanted to see how they would look.
I put them in the cupcake display (it's one of those wired tiered displays with a place for each cupcake) and it just seems like they are way too little! My pan is the standard size...or at least I thought it was. Am I just too used to supersize stuff? I want these to be more than the one or two bites they were. What size cupcakes do you make? How full do you fill the liners? (and by the way, the gold cupcake liners I used really squished up in a lot of them...not pretty!)
Help!

10 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 11

Did you use the baking cups or cupcake liners?

If your pan is standard sized, most liners (use wilton as a standard maybe?) will fit right in, no wiggle room.

I use an ice cream scoop to fill mine, usually about 1/2 - 2/3 full.

Hope that helps!

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 11

I use giant or jumbo cupcake liners they are taller than the standard size muffin tin so you get more cupcake without a muffin top. I usually use just under 1/3 cup of batter per cupcake.

carmijok Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

I use giant or jumbo cupcake liners they are taller than the standard size muffin tin so you get more cupcake without a muffin top. I usually use just under 1/3 cup of batter per cupcake.

So you use the jumbo cupcake liners in a regular size cupcake/muffin pan, right? I did a quick search for jumbo liners and so far have only found white ones. Do you use other colors and if so, where do you get them?
Thanks!

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 11

I have only found them in white also... Sorry I actually usually buy generic ones at the local grocery store. Superstore in Canada seems best. Making your own cupcake wraps is an option to make them more colorful!

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 11

I have been trying to find mini cupcake pans and I'm having a hard time!!! I bought a pan at michaels and they seem so tiny. When i bought a mini cupcake from a cupcake store the mini cupcake seemed much taller. Does anyone have a store or brand or website they can recommend? Or am I just delusional about the pan being the wrong height? Thanks everyone!

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 11

Did your cupcakes shrink noticeably from the sides of the pan after baking? I'm assuming you filled them about 2/3 full, did the batter not rise to the tops of the papers? Sometimes a cake recipe doesn't quite translate into "perfect" cupcakes. Not that you can't use the recipe, it just means that it will not give you the atypical cupcake. Try nudging up the leavening very slightly if they aren't rising enough (opt for baking powder instead of baking soda) or reducing the liquid a bit. Cupcakes like a thicker batter.

If they are shrinking excessively then the ratio of ingredients may not work in small pans like muffin tins. Unless you love experimentation I would leave the recipe alone and work with the results, I'm sure they're not that bad. If your customers love your cake then it won't matter to them if the shape is slightly different in cupcake form. You can make up for it with embellishments or colored baking cups/wraps.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1985

I have been trying to find mini cupcake pans and I'm having a hard time!!! I bought a pan at michaels and they seem so tiny. When i bought a mini cupcake from a cupcake store the mini cupcake seemed much taller. Does anyone have a store or brand or website they can recommend? Or am I just delusional about the pan being the wrong height? Thanks everyone!

You're not crazy. there are definitely different sizes of 'mini' cupcake tins. I have a Baker's Secret brand mini pan and it is definitely of the smaller variety. The Wilton brand pans looked to be a bit bigger. (I use the Wilton brand liners in my BS brand pan with no problems, so it could be my eyes) I know there was another brand pan at Walmart that was definitely a bigger size than the BS brand pan next to it. I can't remember what it was... Oneida maybe? Anyway, try the bigger stores like Macy's or Sears. cupcakes are so 'in' that they might have what you're looking for, albeit for a higher price. Of course, you can always buy it online once you find the brand you like. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMakinMomma

Did your cupcakes shrink noticeably from the sides of the pan after baking? I'm assuming you filled them about 2/3 full, did the batter not rise to the tops of the papers? Sometimes a cake recipe doesn't quite translate into "perfect" cupcakes. Not that you can't use the recipe, it just means that it will not give you the atypical cupcake. Try nudging up the leavening very slightly if they aren't rising enough (opt for baking powder instead of baking soda) or reducing the liquid a bit. Cupcakes like a thicker batter.

If they are shrinking excessively then the ratio of ingredients may not work in small pans like muffin tins. Unless you love experimentation I would leave the recipe alone and work with the results, I'm sure they're not that bad. If your customers love your cake then it won't matter to them if the shape is slightly different in cupcake form. You can make up for it with embellishments or colored baking cups/wraps.

Thanks. I may use a little less liquid and see what that does. And I know a lot of cupcake ills can be cured with frosting and decor...which is what I'm planning on doing. I just like the look of the perfect full cup with no squished lining. Is it too much to ask? icon_lol.gif
I don't think I filled 2/3 full either. Hey I don't mind experimenting...no one turns down experimental cake I've discovered.

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1985

with mini cupcakes the problem may be that you are not filling them high enough. If you full them high enough where they get a dome that goes above the cupcake liner that is perfect and might be closer to the size you had in mind. I find that if I underfill the mini liners man they look tiny and are really not useable.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Thanks. I may use a little less liquid and see what that does. And I know a lot of cupcake ills can be cured with frosting and decor...which is what I'm planning on doing. I just like the look of the perfect full cup with no squished lining. Is it too much to ask? icon_lol.gif I don't think I filled 2/3 full either. Hey I don't mind experimenting...no one turns down experimental cake I've discovered.

I'm a nut about recipe experimentation but not everyone is, that's why I recommended working with what you've got. If you like to fiddle and tweak then by all means knock yourself out! I love dissecting a recipe to get it to do exactly what I want. (I call those my "Frankenstein recipes." icon_lol.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%