I Steamed Duff's Fondant...and It Melted!

Decorating By Skirt Updated 24 May 2010 , 2:34am by Karen421

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 13

So not only is it EX-PEN-SIVE and comes out of the package rock hard, it melts when you steam it icon_evil.gif I made a bow topper for my friend's cake today and thought it would be nice if I steamed it to make it nice and shiny. The black SI held its shape and the purple Duff fondant melted. I wan to like this stuff, I really do, BUT.... thumbsdown.gif

12 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #2 of 13

Oooooh, so sorry that happened.

I recently read that it is chocolate based (I think it's more like candy melts)--that would probably explain both issues---hard out of the container and melts under heat..................

Rae

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #3 of 13

Did you steam the bow? I did that once and it collapased on me.

Skirt Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Did you steam the bow? I did that once and it collapased on me.

I did! It just seemed so odd that the black loops held their shape perfectly and the purple ones didn't. I'm glad I only put a couple of purple loops as a colour accent. if I had made the whole bow purple and it collapsed 5 min. before leaving for the party..... Let's just say I would not have been too happy icon_mad.gificon_razz.gif

rebecabpg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecabpg Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #5 of 13

I didnt know you could steam fondant... I thought humidity was its enemy????

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:51am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecabpg

just a quick steam melts the outside layer and forms a gloss...it will make things droop, but if you have something secured or, say, on top of the cake, it should be fine.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:00am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Oooooh, so sorry that happened.

I recently read that it is chocolate based (I think it's more like candy melts)--that would probably explain both issues---hard out of the container and melts under heat..................

Rae

I agree....

I have steamed my MMF bows and they have never melted of "wilted" on me... so if it's chocolate based... as Rae said.... that might explain why....

sorry that happened to you ((big hug))

rebecabpg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecabpg Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:

just a quick steam melts the outside layer and forms a gloss...it will make things droop, but if you have something secured or, say, on top of the cake, it should be fine.

Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for the information!
How is it done? Do you use one of those clothing steamers or on the stove?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:51am
post #9 of 13

i didn't have a steamer last time i glossed my mmf so i used a small paint brush and just used minimal water- and brushed it over the mmf making sure none dripped. it worked like a charm. i'd rather steam but hey nice to know something else works too

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:44am
post #10 of 13

Isn't Duff's fondant a buttercream fondant. Buttercream fondant seems to get sticky also if you put it in the freezer.

Skirt Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 13

They call it buttercream fondant but I just think it's because they add butter flavour to it...

For steaming I use my iron that has a 'burst of steam' button. It's convenient since my iron allows me to use that button with the iron vertical. HTH!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:

Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for the information!
How is it done? Do you use one of those clothing steamers or on the stove?

I have a little hand held steamer I bought from Home Depot on clearance. It came all sorts of attachments and I use that for anything big or attached to the cake; sometimes my intricate stuff. My gum paste flowers it's a lot less trouble to have a big huge pan of boiling water on the range top.

Only a few seconds mind you, otherwise everything melts.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #13 of 13

I got my steamer from Walmart for about 20.00. It is for clothes and works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%