Cake Board Covering

Decorating By hebberd Updated 22 May 2010 , 3:13am by JILBRY

hebberd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hebberd Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #1 of 4

As my most recent pictures will show, when I wrap my boards, the grease from the frosting tends to seep out on to the wrapping. The 2 cakes I did last weekend, I wrapped the boards in full sheets of wrapping paper; and it was awful! My boards are 1/4 inch plywood so they really need to be covered in something solid. Parchment paper can get expensive. Does anyone have suggestions on what to wrap the boards in so the grease does not seep through?

Thanks for your input.

Heather
(Hebberd)

3 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 4

I use freezer paper, shiny side up. It's pretty and very durable. It's also inexpensive. I bought a huge roll for about $5.00 at wal-mart. thumbs_up.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #3 of 4

Wrapping paper is not food safe and will absorb grease like yours did. When I use wrapping paper, I put a layer of food safe clear cello wrap on top. You can buy a roll of this for like $3 from Michaels. Another inexpensive wrapping is plastic table cloths. You can use whatever color coordinates with your cake design. I buy mine at the dollar store and get cover several boards with it.
LL
LL

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #4 of 4

The last few cakes I've done I have covered the boards with the plastic table covers for like birthday parties.
They are all color coordinated and they don't soak up the grease and are really cheap. Just cut them to fit and you can cover many boards with one package. Works like a charm for me. Hope this helps. I know some of those rolls of cover are very expensive!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%