I'm Flabbergasted!!!!

Decorating By candoo Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 6:45am by margaretb

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #31 of 68

WOW!!!! icon_eek.gif As a cookie decorator, you have really enlightened me as to what cakes cost to make. icon_eek.gif I always believe they are worth money spent, but honestly had no idea of how much they cost to make. I will stick with cookies (not that I could do cakes anyway icon_lol.gif) but alas, one does not necessarily fare well there with time involved.

Thanks for enlightening me! It is good to see the other side for the knowledge and to be able to politely enlighten someone the next time I hear them comment about the cost of a cake.

I know your time is intensive, but your costs are higher than I expected. Thanks for the knowledge!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

Yup.

I only do free cakes, but a while back I decided to figure out what my little hobby was actually costing me. I came up with a $1.00 per serving.

People are shocked when I tell them that they can buy a Wal-Mart cake for less than it costs me just for ingredients. icon_eek.gif

This is one case where home-made is definitely not cheaper.

This is so me. Except now I tell people I'd be happy to make a cake as long as they cover the cost of the materials. I save all my receipts if they have any questions. I make sure I warn them up front that a cake the size they are wanting will cost approx. 'X' amount of dollars in materials... that way there is no shock when they get the bill. So people really have no idea that a custom cake costs so much to make. I know I didn't a few years ago!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #33 of 68

I use only real butter (Land 'o Lakes), Philly cream cheese and powdered sugar in my frosting and I figure one batch to be $8.35...add more for chocolate or other flavors.

My buttercream is what everyone loves and it's the same recipe the bakery I worked for used and what they were known for so I'm not going to go cheap on it....plus I can tell the difference in butters and cream cheese so I stick with the best.

And oh my goodness the money I've put into the pans, the colorings, the fondant and gumpaste, the dusts and lustres...but I can't help it...it's a sickness. I want MORE! I love it and what money I make I know doesn't cover the time I put in on projects. If I did this for a living... I'd be dead! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:38am
post #34 of 68

The "ingredients times three" is a falacy and will have you bankrupt in no time. The reason is that ingredients are NOT the biggest cost factor(s) in a cake. ingredients times 3 just can't cover the labor cost.

I can make a 2-layer 8" round cake for under $10. Assuming "times three", then I would be selling that cake for $30 .... just barely over $1/serving. But it takes, let's say, 3 hours to make, from mixing to finish. Paying an employee (or myself) a lousy ten bucks an hour means I have payroll expense of $30. I'm in the hole for making this cake.

Here's a thread where a CC'er actually did the math and I think you'll find it an interesting reveal: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6475557#6475557

here's a thread in which I compare MAKING a product and selling it times three as opposed to BUYING a premade product and selling it times three. WAY different expenses involved!!! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=664395&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=spatulas&&start=150

And in reference to the original post ..... I can't even begin to figure out how a batch of icing costs that much. I am frequently puzzled when folks refer to adding dream whip as "so expensive". Folks, it's just a bit over one dollar per envelope. If adding $1 to your cake's expenses means you aren't making any money on it now, then you have a pricing problem.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:45am
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And in reference to the original post ..... I can't even begin to figure out how a batch of icing costs that much. I am frequently puzzled when folks refer to adding dream whip as "so expensive". Folks, it's just a bit over one dollar per envelope. If adding $1 to your cake's expenses means you aren't making any money on it now, then you have a pricing problem.

I agree. Dream Whip cost me $3.89 + tax for 4 envelopes.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #36 of 68

Dream Whip costs me 2.48 for 2 packs (before tax), and I use 2 packs in each batch of icing. The other costs in each batch is the flavoring, shortening, and powdered sugar. My hubby was adding straight from the receipt to come to his total. The only difference I have found since posting this is that I only use 1.5-2 batches for a 6 and 8 inch tiered cake- not 2-2.5 like I thought. I found that I was using 2 when I had a few different colors on a cake, and there is always a little waste from each color after the cake is done.

indydebi Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #37 of 68

2 full envelopes in each BATCH? icon_confused.gif With my recipe, I can get 2 or 2.5 batches from each envelope. What recipe are you using? Maybe we're calling a "batch" something different. A "batch" to me uses one 2-lb bag of p.sugar

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #38 of 68

Yep- a batch for me uses 2 lb. of powdered sugar. My hubby has been saying he thought 1 pk of dream whip per batch would be enough! I think I will now be cutting down to 1 pk. per batch! My recipe is based on yours, indydebi- I know mine is a little different, but I thought u used 2 pks also! I think I will be dropping down to 1 pk, for sure! This thread is helping me cut costs! lol! My hubby will be very proud!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #39 of 68

Indydebi's recipe calls for 3 Tablespoons (about 1/2 pkg.) per "batch". That's with one 2 lb. bag of sugar. I get can make 2 batches with ONE envelope and have a couple teaspoons left.

The cost of Dream Whip in the 2 pk. package is $2.58 for me but the 4 pack is only $3.49. Crazy hu?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #40 of 68

Oh - in-dy-d-e-bi ! Image
Recipe? hm? please, please? Image Is it posted?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:36am
post #42 of 68

OK, here's the deal for Dream Whip. AMAZON.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EQ54YQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

You get 24 envelopes for $22.85. That comes out to $0.95 per envelope. (73cents per oz). If you order other items and bring your total over $25, shipping will be free.

If you order it on the Subscribe & Save program (automatic delivery), you get an additional 15% off, which brings the price down to $19.42 ($0.81 per envelope), and free shipping (don't need to spend $25.).

There are a lot of other grocery items that are on this program. All have free shipping. I've been using it for a year now and love it. I get deodorant, freeze dried fruit, dish soap & spray cleaner.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #43 of 68

Oh, and if you make a lot of cakes and order the large quantities of dream whip, maybe you could just open them all and pour the powder in a mason jar. Then just measure out the 3T from the jar. Probably would save a bit of time. (I always wanted to be an efficiency expert, just like the parents in the book "Cheaper by the Dozen"!)

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #44 of 68

wow, i do a 32 pound "batch" for 27 bucks.....food costs are roughly 10% for me too.

you can get 25 pounds of sugar at sam's for 12 bucks

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #45 of 68

im too scared to sit down and actually figure my costs out. =/

copha (shortening) is $2.50 for 500gms here, cake mixes START at $2.50, icing sugar is $2.50 for 1kg.. cakeboards... ohhh dont even get me started! lol.

its still frustrating when people arnt aware of how much goes into the cake though.. i spose i dont help matters when i make extravagent cakes for the smallest of reasons... ahhh well, i need to find some way to feed my addiction. icon_wink.gif

7yyrt Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #46 of 68

Thanks much for the recipe, indydebi !

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:14am
post #47 of 68

That's high, I can use one batch of icing and 1 batch of MMF fondant on a 6/8 inch tiered cake, only cost me about $12 for the whole thing.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:45am
post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiStY_71

I am a hobby baker to...my DH has no clue how much it cost me to do all of the cakes that I do for friends and family. icon_surprised.gif So SHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell him! thumbs_up.gif Lol!

I can't hide the price because my hubby buys them for me! icon_lol.gif He does buy my ingredients for me for the stuff I buy locally since we opened the shop. But even before then, what he didn't buy himself, he pays the bills so he saw it anyway. Besides, he's realized that the cake ingredients are the cheapest part, it's the fondant tools, pans, and all of the other stuff we buy that costs so much. I'm using Fondarific fondant now and it's more expensive than Satin Ice but I use less of it and it tastes better. I would like to make my own fondant but I do quite a few fondant cakes and I would spend every spare minute making fondant. Now, if I could get hubby making fondant....... icon_wink.gif

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:54am
post #49 of 68

A 5.1oz box of dream whip is sold here in Australia for $10.99 plus postage! I haven't used it before.....and at that price, I don't think I'll start!! icon_eek.gif

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #50 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia77

A 5.1oz box of dream whip is sold here in Australia for $10.99 plus postage! I haven't used it before.....and at that price, I don't think I'll start!! icon_eek.gif

wait.. we can get dream whip here?? lol where from? have you found "crisco"? or "corn syrup"? ohh what i would give to get my hands on a bucket of corn syrup!! lol i use glycose as a sub, but its $5 fir about 5oo grams, and its very thick and uncooperative! lol

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:00am
post #51 of 68

Indydebi, while we are over to your recipe, I just want to thank you for posting it! I started using it about 6 months ago I think and everyone RAVES about it. My husband would sit and eat a whole bowl of it if I let him, lol! Anyways, I have been slowly growing my at-home bakery and strictly use your buttercream as my crusting icing icon_smile.gif. Thanks!
-For Candoo - I use only 1/2 a packet of dreamwhip per 2lbs. of powdered sugar and it really works well. Definitely try and cut back if you can...saves the wallet icon_smile.gif. I figured out my costs a while back and had to raise my prices to cover. Good for you too sit down and figure it out. Saves you alot of money in the long run if you can make some changes now. Good luck!

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #52 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia77

wait.. we can get dream whip here?? lol where from? have you found "crisco"? or "corn syrup"? ohh what i would give to get my hands on a bucket of corn syrup!! lol i use glycose as a sub, but its $5 fir about 5oo grams, and its very thick and uncooperative! lol

www dot usafoods dot com dot au
Has all those things you are looking for I believe

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #53 of 68

thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:35am
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

An easy substitute for corn syrup: Simmer 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water to a syrupy consistency. (I don't know the conversion to metric, but just use a 4:1 ratio of sugar to water.) I don't know if this will work for everything corn syrup is used for, but I have used it for MFF and it worked great.

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:48am
post #55 of 68

thanksyou, i did see that sub somewhere and have been meaning to experiment with it as well. =)

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:19am
post #56 of 68

Hobby baker only here. I get asked to bring cake to all the family functions now. I am starting to get annoyed, though, because cakes ARE expensive to make. And I could buy a cake for less than it costs me to make one, which I've started telling people, so hopefully it will start getting around the family. Honestly, it would be cheaper and less time consuming if I were asked to bring a roast turkey to every gathering, but of course no one would ever do that because how unfair it would be to put me to the trouble and expense (HA), especially when no one else is bringing anything. Good grief.

Anyway, my batch of icing is 1 pound butter (3.98, although I can occasionally get it for less, and once I even found some for 2.99 a pound!), 1 pound Crisco (2.79 -- sometimes a little less), minimum of, say 1/2 cup of milk (which is what -- around $3 for 8 cups?), two bags of icing sugar (2 kg total -- 2.14 a bag if I get it at costco, 3 something at superstore, but 4 something if I didn't stock up and have to get it in my home town). Plus GST, so that ends up around $12 a batch. And usually I either have to make two batches OR I make a filling for between the layers, but the filling is more expensive than the icing. Plus vanilla, plus icing colouring. Then the cake ingredients. So the cost adds up. And because I just do this as a hobby and don't make cakes all the time, I can't really spread out the costs of the icing. If I make two batches of icing and don't perfectly estimate how much I needed, I'll end up with an extra half cup of black and 3/4 cup of green and so much red, orange, white, whatever. And all those little extras get tossed. If there is a lot of one colour, I might throw it in the freezer, but if I make another cake, chances are I will need to remake all the icing because that won't be the colour I need. If I made a couple cakes a week, then leftovers from one cake would be used on the next cake. The last cake I made, I told my husband how much it cost in ingredients and how much time I figured it took (about 11 hours to decorate alone). So he told the people how much time it took, and they were floored. Hopefully that will make some of them think twice before they ask for that big of a favour again.

I think I read it somewhere in the forums and I've started to tell people this. I think that some people figure that because they can take a box mix and a can of frosting and make a cake themselves for under $10 and ten minutes of effort, it couldn't possibly cost me more or take me longer to turn out a fully decorated 12 by 18 or two tier cake that feeds dozens with leftovers to spare.

7yyrt Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #57 of 68

TOSSED?!?
No don't toss leftover icing, FREEZE it. If you add chocolate to it, it doesn't matter what color it started out.

By the way - make the family give you supplies to make those cakes if they want them. Your time is enough to use.

"You want a cake? Sure!
Person A, bring me 2 pounds of butter and 4 pounds of powdered sugar; Person B, bring a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk. Person C, you're responsible for the flour and white sugar..." heh, heh

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #58 of 68

I learned this from Gemini, I think, regarding leftover cookie icing. Mix all the leftover colors together, which makes a muddy brown. Add black food coloring, and you have a batch of black icing. (Gemini then uses the black cookie icing for outlining cookies.) 7yyrt's tip to add chocolate to the icing is brilliant.
Freeze it, and you won't have to make black or chocolate icing the next time you need it.

Or freeze colors individually. Sometimes you just need a teeny bit of one color.

mindydaile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindydaile Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:13pm
post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

"You want a cake? Sure!
Person A, bring me 2 pounds of butter and 4 pounds of powdered sugar; Person B, bring a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk. Person C, you're responsible for the flour and white sugar..." heh, heh

I'm not 100% sure but I believe accepting ingredients in exchange for a cake is considered the same as accepting money for a cake which is illegal (selling cake out of your home) for many of us in a variety of states. Be sure to check your local regulations!

7yyrt Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #60 of 68

It's her family.
If a sister can't bring you the supplies to make a cake then the law is stupid and needs to be repealed.

My kids bring me things all the time to cook. Is that then illegal for them to do so?
-
Edited:
Sorry, that came out a bit snotty.

No point taking out on others the fact that
IT IS STILL RAINING!!! icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%