To Refrigerate Or Not...

Decorating By Nicole2010 Updated 21 May 2010 , 3:52am by mamawrobin

Nicole2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole2010 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #1 of 5

Hi, newbie here! I have been doing a lot of research about fondant cakes and I have come upon some conflicting information about storing a fondant covered/decorated cake.

I have seen a fondant cake that's been refrigerated become dewy, but I'm nervous about it becoming dry if I leave it out. What do you guys do? Do you leave it out at cool room temp or put it in the fridge until it's delivered/picked up?

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 5

There's no necessity to refrigerate ANY cake (b/c or fondant) unless it has either a perishable frosting and/or filling.

Some do, some don't - personal preference (if nothing's perishable).

HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole2010

Hi, newbie here! I have been doing a lot of research about fondant cakes and I have come upon some conflicting information about storing a fondant covered/decorated cake.

I have seen a fondant cake that's been refrigerated become dewy, but I'm nervous about it becoming dry if I leave it out. What do you guys do? Do you leave it out at cool room temp or put it in the fridge until it's delivered/picked up?

Your cake will not "become dry" if you leave it out. The icing and fondant seal your cake. I never refrigerate my cakes. Like JanH said "personal preference". The only time I've had issues with a cake is when I put one in the refrigerator. I don't use perishable fillings so there's no need.

Nicole2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole2010 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #4 of 5

Thank you!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 5

You're welcome and welcome to cc thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%