Home Bakery In Ca

Business By Sweet_Kakes Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 4:40am by devorie

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 16

Can anyone tell me if california will license and home bakery.. I have looked on the state websites and I cant find anything not even requirements nothing.

Thank You

15 replies
KS421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KS421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 16

Unfortunately, not at all.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 16

nope, nope, and nope.
Never ever ever!! icon_wink.gif

I am in the process of getting permitted and it has to be in a commercial facility. Call your local Health dept. and they'll tell u all the requirements. Eventually I would like to have it on my property but it has to be a separate facility and pretty much like u erected a free-standing kitchen completely separate from the house.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 16

Sadly we are one of the states that do not allow home bakeries. You can still run your business out of your home but must become licensed and rent a kitchen or work out of a kitchen that is licensed. I've been doing this for two years now.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Sadly we are one of the states that do not allow home bakeries. You can still run your business out of your home but must become licensed and rent a kitchen or work out of a kitchen that is licensed. I've been doing this for two years now.

I almost read this wrong...translation: you can run the business side of it out of your home but all baking must be done in a commercial kitchen.

You need to look for church kitchens, restaurants, bakeries, even doughnut shops, senior centers...the list goes on........

windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 16

catlharper, would you mind telling me which kitchen you're using in Sac? I've looked at a couple, but haven't decided on one yet.

Steel Magnolia is the nicest one I've seen, but it's kind of pricey.

Thanks!

icon_lol.gif

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 16

I'm in El Dorado Hills and getting things finalized, too. In Sac I checked out Steel Magnolia and Massa Peal. I didn't care for the 2nd kitchen and was just as pricey as SM.

windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 16

Hi, Christina,

So, what did you end up finding in Eldorado Hills?

_christina_ Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #9 of 16

Sorry the reply took so long! I didn't get an email about your response and then I couldn't find the topic.

I am going with SM for bigger projects but also have access to licensed kitchens in a coffee shop and a shriner/masonic building. Nothing in EDH, though.

How are your efforts coming?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #10 of 16

I am in CA too.. did you all see the petition going around to allow in-home bakeries in CA? worth a signature if you haven't already!
http://www.petitiononline.com/CAHBLP/

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:32am
post #11 of 16

my mom signed the pledged, right now its at 613 signatures. We need more so tell all your friends and family.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #12 of 16

Don't get me started on CA and their idiotic licensing laws on bakeries. I bake for a lot of charities and I'm not even allowed to bake in my own home and give them cakes/cupcakes/cookies. It's crazy. I have a charity that has particpants attend for a nominal fee various retreats. I am techncially not allowed to bake things in my own home and give them the items because the people technically "paid" something even if it is only a nominal fee. Most of the places I work with just look the other way and let me give them things. I could use their commercial kitchens but I'm used to my own oven etc. I'm signing that petition because I think it's crazy that we don't allow home baking businesses. My kitchen is cleaner than most of the "A" rated (per the Health Dept rating) ones I go to.

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:42am
post #13 of 16

Thanks so much for that link!! Sending it to all of my relatives, friends, etc.

_christina_ Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #14 of 16

I absolutely signed the petition.

Cheriej...I completely agree with how idiotic our laws are. Having worked in many a kitchen I can attest that my home kitchen is WAY cleaner than many!!! It is quite ridiculous.

I remember having to throw butter and eggs back in the fridge cause the HD was there to inspect. They give you more than enough time to fix and cover up things so their inspections are all for show anyway. It's all a joke and a huge $$ maker for the states. But that's just my opinion.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:23am
post #15 of 16

I agree Christina, I used to work at a grocery store bakery & when a HD inspector was at a nearby store & just left, the bakery manager would call us to give us a heads up, we'd clean up & get everything in order before their arrival

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #16 of 16

Sending this to my email list (CA peeps only). How does it sound?

Please take a minute to sign this online petition (link below). The petition is asking that CA should allow people like me to bake goods for sale from their homes. The homes would be certified by the Health Department and have grades just like regular bakeries. It would mean a lot to me if you would sign the petition. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%