Skirt Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of

OK, I had a 50% off coupon. I decided to buy Duff's purple fondant to see how it compares to other fondants. I haven't used it yet but just the way it was packaged has me miffed! The container is fine, your standard plastic tub. Inside, the fondant was just kerplopped into the bag and spun shut. There are big air pockets in the bag and, needless to say, the fondant is rock hard. No wonder they say to microwave it before using...

Did I get a bad tub or are they all like this? Has anyone else bought some?

28 replies
leily Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #2 of

not sure if all of the containers with his name on it are like this, but his fondant is either Satin Ice or Fondarific with his picture on it. So if you like it and need to order more you can order it online for a better price.

mbark Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:16pm
post #3 of

I have seen other posts on here about Duff's fondant being hard right out of the package, but I think a short trip in the microwave makes it pliable

bridge72 Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4 of

I bought the black and I thought the same thing when I opened it.....rock hard icon_eek.gif. I used it last week for the first time ( after microwaving) it seemed to work fine, rolled out nice and smooth HTH

cakesbymark Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

OK, I had a 50% off coupon. I decided to buy Duff's purple fondant to see how it compares to other fondants. I haven't used it yet but just the way it was packaged has me miffed! The container is fine, your standard plastic tub. Inside, the fondant was just kerplopped into the bag and spun shut. There are big air pockets in the bag and, needless to say, the fondant is rock hard. No wonder they say to microwave it before using...

Did I get a bad tub or are they all like this? Has anyone else bought some?


and thats how satin ice and fondarific caomes aswell....put it in the micro and your good to go..

Kimmers971 Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of

My Satin Ice or Fonderific does not come rock hard, so whoever is packaging Duff's brand has a packing problem. I use my Satin Ice or Fondarific straight out of the tub and only have to kneed slightly.

Sherry1030 Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:12pm
post #7 of

I ordered Fondarific for the first time last week and almost had a stroke when I opened it - it was rock hard. I called Global to see if this was normal and they said it was because it has a chocolate base. It actually came with a card (didn't even see it in my panic!) that said to microwave it. It worked fine after that!

BlakesCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry1030

I ordered Fondarific for the first time last week and almost had a stroke when I opened it - it was rock hard. I called Global to see if this was normal and they said it was because it has a chocolate base. It actually came with a card (didn't even see it in my panic!) that said to microwave it. It worked fine after that!




Thanks for the info!
I've read the ingredients for Fondarific and thought some of them looked a lot like what's in candy melts....................this explains a lot. Maybe not the high cost, but a lot.

Rae

leily Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

My or Fonderific does not come rock hard, so whoever is packaging Duff's brand has a packing problem. I use my or Fondarific straight out of the tub and only have to kneed slightly.




I have ordered Satin Ice from a few different places and never had it come hard, it's always soft. Granted I can't roll it directly on a cake, but i can knead it easily before I roll it.

Skirt Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:18am
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

My or Fonderific does not come rock hard, so whoever is packaging Duff's brand has a packing problem. I use my or Fondarific straight out of the tub and only have to kneed slightly.



I have ordered from a few different places and never had it come hard, it's always soft. Granted I can't roll it directly on a cake, but i can knead it easily before I roll it.




Ditto on that! SI is even too soft sometimes... So I guess we can say Duff's is Fondarific?!? Whoever it is, they really are doing an awful packing job... icon_sad.gif

cheatize Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:21am

Satin Ice, Fondarific, and Duff's FondaSatinWhatever- all were hard in the tub when I purchased them. I just sawed off a chunk of Duffs a couple of nights ago.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:27am

[quote="SkirtSo I guess we can say Duff's is Fondarific?!? Whoever it is, they really are doing an awful packing job... icon_sad.gif[/quote]

Duff's fondant at Michael's is Fondarific. If it is, indeed, made with chocolate or the equivalent of candy melts, that would certainly explain why it's hard when it's taken out of the bucket and needs to be nuked.

My Satin Ice has always been firm, but I can cut it easily (love using one of the plastic "lettuce" knives for that) and begin to knead it without nuking it.

Rae

Kimbercakes16 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:34am

Same here with the Satin Ice fondant...it's always soft enough to get out of the container without nuking it to knead. Chocopan is always ridiculously soft out of the container, too, except I ordered their red and it was as hard as a brick...

terrylee Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:38am

My Satin Ice has always been pliable....little kneeding is all it needs

I have a couple of coupons for Michaels and I'm going to try Duff's....I've heard that Fondarific is much better than Satin Ice, a bit more expensive but we will see. It would worth the extra $$ if it taste better, though I have had no complaint with the Satin Ice.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:45am
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee


I have a couple of coupons for Michaels and I'm going to try Duff's....I've heard that Fondarific is much better than , a bit more expensive but we will see. It would worth the extra $$ if it taste better, though I have had no complaint with the .




I think I pay about $3/lb. when I get my SI in bulk w/S&H.

Even with the rare 50% off coupon for Michael's, the Duff stuff will run $5/lb.............if it can roll itself out and apply itself to a cake without pleats, I'll think about it.

Rae

Skirt Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:57am
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes


if it can roll itself out and apply itself to a cake without pleats, I'll think about it.

Rae




hehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

terrylee Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:45am

Rae.... yeh you're right.. I pay about 3.50/lb for SI..... I did price the Fondarific online....pretty $$$$$. For those prices I agree, it should roll itself and apply itself. I'm only out $5/6 if its not that good. I have had no problems with SI.

cakesbykitty Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:04am

ok guy;s... where are you getting your SI for 3 and 3.50 a pound with shipping?!!!!!! Inquiring minds want to know icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:13am

I often order in bulk at the ICES Convention directly from the supplier. They discount to start with and the shipping is free.

If I need more, I like f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m (eliminate spaces) for their shipping cost and customer service.

http://www. f o n d a n t s o u r c e.com/white-satin-ice-rolled-fondant-20lb.html

HTH
Rae

Yokieca Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:46am

I could not believe how expensive all his stuff is I did not think his name was worth that much. $7.99 for cake mix! come on, will he come and bake it for you?

chilz822 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:49am

I would rather Geoff or Mary Alice come and bake it!
icon_smile.gif

conchita Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:20am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokieca

I could not believe how expensive all his stuff is I did not think his name was worth that much. $7.99 for cake mix! come on, will he come and bake it for you?



lol you areso funny and I agree with you it is expensive but is nice to have another brand of fondant not just wiltons

ladyk333 Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:56am

I purchased the Duff brand here at Michael's as I needed a darker blue in a hurry. Here in Canada it was $26 for the equivalent of 3lbs, before the coupon. bloody ridiculous. What bothered me more was that the color, though marked "Royal Blue" was actually more of a turquoise once I opened the container. I had to spend my time coloring the stuff after I had paid a ridiculous price to get the correct color to start with. Never again!

darlaslade Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:36pm

I just ordered the blue SI from Global Sugar Art and it too is more of a turquoise! A bit bothered as I am in Hawaii and shipping is outrageous! In my research for fondant, Global had better shipping than fondantsource, but with the 10% coupon code, it comes out just a bit cheaper than Globals in the end. Will consider ordering from fondantsource next time to save a few bucks.

If anyone has any info on where to buy fondant in hawaii, please let me know. thanks

cakesbykitty Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:50pm

I had the same problem when i lived in Alaska. Do you know someone in the states that could buy it and ship it cheaper? I'd be happy to help you out on this if it makes a significant difference for you.

ladyk333 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:28pm

I was back at Michael's here in st. Albert and checked again - $29 for 2 lbs!!! Yes, I liked working with it, but even with a 40% off coupon that is $9 a pound! There is a Canadian supplier that I order Satin Ice from, but that still works out to $6 a pound or so. I don't have a friend in the States to order through - kakesbykitty, perhaps we should chat!!

Wendl Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:39pm

There's a local cake supply that sells Satin Ice for easily twice (plus tax) the $$$ that I just bought on f0ndants0urce... THANKS for the lead Rae!!! I about choked when I saw what they were charging (the local place) vs what I paid for last week's order to GSA. It's good to have options!
I love Duff, but I'm not paying extra for his mug to be on the container... He was using Satin Ice, maybe they let him do a side line to bump business a little? Or maybe the Fondariffic folks got to him and made a better licensing deal...? I love working w/SI so I'm not changing.
Thanks again y'all! Cake Central folks rock!!!

cgm_cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:20pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyk333

I was back at Michael's here in st. Albert and checked again - $29 for 2 lbs!!! Yes, I liked working with it, but even with a 40% off coupon that is $9 a pound! There is a Canadian supplier that I order from, but that still works out to $6 a pound or so. I don't have a friend in the States to order through - kakesbykitty, perhaps we should chat!!




I have the same issue. Here in BC my local supply store sells 2lb SI for $16. Michael's doesn't carry it. Where do you order your supplies from? I'm always looking for tips on Cdn suppliers.

Thanks!

ladyk333 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:05pm

cgm cakes, I order from Golda's kitchen. She's out East, but at least she ships here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%