How Do I Get This Texture?

Decorating By eatCakes Updated 20 May 2010 , 9:49pm by BailiasCakes

eatCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake in the shape of a panama hat in late June, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what might help give me the texture I need. I'll be working with a fondant/candy clay mix (and gumpaste for the brim), and the color I'll be using is a burnt orange. The orange hat in the picture is the one I'll be making, just with a bit deeper orange. This cake is going to get a lot of attention and I want it to be perfect, any help would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif
LL

8 replies
casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 9

I would think you could put a piece of tight saran wrap down and then emboss the hat fabric over it.

eatCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 9

I'm pretty sure they are made of straw. So I don't really know what I would use. icon_sad.gif

kanwal Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 9

You could go out and buy a vinyl tablecloth that has that texture embossed on it. I know they exist because after I tried rolling out fondant on my mother's tablecloth and flipping it over to put the fondant on my cake, I noticed it had a linen like texture to it. I think she bought it at Walmart. Hope it helps!

eatCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:06am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal

You could go out and buy a vinyl tablecloth that has that texture embossed on it. I know they exist because after I tried rolling out fondant on my mother's tablecloth and flipping it over to put the fondant on my cake, I noticed it had a linen like texture to it. I think she bought it at Walmart. Hope it helps!

That's actually a pretty good idea! My husband suggested the back of my Silpat, but I don't know if it's textured enough to emboss it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 9

I use fabric all the time to "emboss" my fondant. The fabric store has all kinds of different textures.
Have fun!

tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 9

I'd get a piece of burlap at the fabric store and use that.

ibmoser Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 9

You can also find plastic canvas sheets at most craft stores in many different gauges if what you need is a regular weave pattern - can be washed and sanitized thumbs_up.gif

BailiasCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 9

If you are going with buttercream, you can get textures using papertowels. You just have to find the right papertowel. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%