Press Cake With Book

Decorating By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 20 May 2010 , 1:42am by JohnnyCakes1966

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 10

I read on here where someone mentioned that they place a heavy book on top of their cakes (before torting and frosting) to press it down. They didn't say, but I assume it's to make the cake denser/firmer. Do any of you do this??

9 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 10

I do something similar to help the cake settle a little faster.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I do something similar to help the cake settle a little faster.

Ditto. thumbs_up.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:01am
post #4 of 10

So do you do this with all of your cakes? Do you "press" them hot out of the oven, warm, or cooled? While in the pan or after turning out? Thanks!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:02am
post #5 of 10

I use a towell and press down as soon as it comes out of the oven. I dont even level anymore..

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

So do you do this with all of your cakes? Do you "press" them hot out of the oven, warm, or cooled? While in the pan or after turning out? Thanks!

I do this after I've filled the cake before icing it.
1. bake, cool, level
2. fill, wrap with plastic wrap and place book on top (several hours)
3. crumb coat.....ice..........decorate.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #7 of 10

Wow...Sorry for all the questions, but.... icon_lol.gif

Do you press hard...like...pack it down? Or Robin, in your case, do you use a heavy book that really packs the cake down?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #8 of 10

Ceramic tiles work very well too.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:24am
post #9 of 10

When I have the time and it is not a last minute cake, I follow Leah's way of placing a ceramic tile on top of the cake that is the size of the cake (9" tile on 9" cake, etc.) and letting it "settle" for at least 12-24 hours. I like her way because I don't have to worry if what I am placing on the cake is too heavy or not heavy enough. If I do not have that kind of time (decided to make a last minute cake), I use bobwonderbuns' method of taking a cookie sheet and placing it on top of cake and gently pressing down until the dam comes to the edge of the cake. I do this after the cake is torted, filled and wrapped in plastic (for Leah's way); I, obviously, do not wrap in plastic if I am doing the other method.

HTH

Sheryl

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #10 of 10

Thanks Everyone! Looks like I'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow to buy tile. I buy more cake decorating supplies at HD than almost anywhere else! icon_lol.gif

Oh....another question: When you level and torte, do you make the layers a bit thicker than if you didn't press them, considering they will end up thinner once they've been pressed?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%