Starting Business As A Home Baker

Business By cricket0616 Updated 20 May 2010 , 1:13pm by cricket0616

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 16

I just got off the phone with our local department of health and they have shared that I am allowed to have a home bakery business without a license if I do not advertise and I sell only to friends, family and acquaitances. I have a complete second kitchen in my home already and therfore it would not cost me anything to start selling what I am currently giving away. If I do this are there any pitfalls I should be aware of???

15 replies
eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 16

What state are you in?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 16

don't forget to check with your local county/city if you can have a home business too.

I'm in iowa and I can bake from home, however the last city I lived in I could have a business, but i could NOT have any customers come to my home. They do it to help restrict traffic in residential areas. This may also be the case if you live in a condo or a home association area.

Out of curiosity, what state are you in?

Also, did you ask them what consituted as Advertising? Sometimes even having a business card is considered advertising. Just want to make sure you don't get in trouble for having a business card (as these are the best things to hand out to get people to you)

kristieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristieanna Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 16

What state are you in? It just seems a little odd that you are only allowed to sell to family and friends. I say that because how would anyone know who you are friends with?

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 16

You can sell only to friends, family, and acquaintances? That seems like a silly rule because ANYBODY could be an acquaintance. icon_confused.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 16

Well, I guess since she can't advertise the only way she'll get business will be thru word-of-mouth hence the acquaintance. lol

best of luck to you cricket!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 16

I'd consider getting liability insurance in case someone sues you. Also, look into making your business an LLC, so if someone does sue your business, your home is not jeopardized.

cricket0616 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 16

I live in South Carolina and in a rural area (outside of city limits). Dept of Health said that I can not do business cards or flyers, etc. People will have to come to me. He did suggest that I contact my local city and make sure there are not any issues he is unaware of, but did not think there was anything.

I am just curious about insurance, taxes, etc. How does that work if I don't have a business license. There goes the idea about buying products at a wholesale price. Oh, well can't have everything.

cricket0616 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 16

prterrell
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd consider getting liability insurance in case someone sues you. Also, look into making your business an LLC, so if someone does sue your business, your home is not jeopardized.

Can you set up a business and get liability insurance without a business license??

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 16

I'd call them back and get more information, like if there is an number of cakes a year that you can do.

It sounds like they don't mind if you do a few cakes for people you know, but don't want you selling to the general public, hence the no advertising.

cricket0616 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 16

TexasSugar - I did ask the question regarding if there was a limit on the number of cakes and I do and they said "no". He directed me to the regulations on the website and they would consider this a "weekend baker".

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

I just got off the phone with our local department of health and they have shared that I am allowed to have a home bakery business without a license if I do not advertise and I sell only to friends, family and acquaitances.

Id like to know what state too.

That sounds odd cause in my state MS you HAVE to have a seperate place, license by the hd, take the serve safe course and have 6 mo inspections. Then be registered by the city/county with a business license not to mention a state tax id.

cricket0616 Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 16

I live in South Carolina and in a rural area (outside of city limits).

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #14 of 16

Cricket;
You might check into an umbrella policy. Check with your home insurance company, an umbrella policy will cover you in case something happens that is not covered under normal home owners policy and someone sues you up to an amount of your choosing. (I don't think I explained that well!) Your insurance company will explain it in detail.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:13am
post #15 of 16

Could you be confusing a "business license" with a Health Department license? Those would come from two separate entities. You can certainly set yourself up as a business with the state and qualify for wholesale accounts from suppliers.

cricket0616 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #16 of 16

Leah, I was confusing the two. I sent about 2 hours last night reading through all the post on here and realized my mistake. Have some checking to do on insurance and business licenses today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%